BCinOKC

Jun 14, 2021
Oklahoma City, OK
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
First post here, so be gentle....I’ve read all of pool school and I’m getting fairly comfortable with my TF-100 test kit. This is a fairly new pool (completed Sep 2020) and we are first time pool owners.

Recently switched to TFP, due to the issues we were having keeping chlorine in the pool. We are surrounded by numerous large trees and leaves are CONSTANTLY falling into the pool. Pool store claimed that we had nitrates and phosphates from the leaves that were eating the chlorine.

Their advice was to shock the pool (which we did several days in a row on their advice). After about the 5th trip of being advised to try something different (this time, a weekly algaecide and phosphate remover), we decided to try TFP.

We’ve passed an OCLT and the water has never looked better, but I keep getting what I think are artificially high measurements on the chlorine drop test. When I go to add the R-0871, it SHOOTS out of the bottle, sometimes dropping 3 drops at a time. The flow is very hard to control, and the drops seem like they are “smaller”? When I compare (I know, I know) to two different brands of test strips or even the Taylor daily test, it is WAY OFF. See numbers below:

FC: 13 (from drop test)
FC: 5 (from strips or Taylor)
CC: 0
PH: 7.6
TA: 80
CH: 625
CYA: 50

Welcome to the forum!
Dropper tips can be an issue some times. Try it without ANY pressure on the bottle, just gravity. Hold the bottle vertically and let the drop form and fall. Only VERY lightly put pressure on the bottle if the drop will not form. Each drop should take a second or so to form and drop.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.