CircuPool TotalBalance for pH Control - Feedback?

Scottc19

Apr 13, 2021
NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Hi - Does anyone have any recent experience with CircuPool's Total Balance system for C02 injection as a means to lower pH? Searched other forum posts and most recent posts about this product are from 2019 or older. Curious if anyone has had recent good or bad experiences. pH Control

I'm constantly battling increase in pH for my 25k gallon SWG pool, with spillover hot tub and waterfalls, adding about a gallon of muriatic acid per week. I've typically added acid 2x per week, but I'm interested in this product so that I can maintain a more consistent pH, rather than the cycle of rising pH and then sudden drop with addition of acid (and endlessly repeat).

Thanks!

Be aware that using CO2 for pH control does not effect TA level. So if your pH rise is partially due to addition of high TA fill water due to evaporation, do not use CO2.

If you are having to add baking soda due to your addition of acid so often, raise your pH target to 7.9 or 8 and let TA go down to 50-60 ppm. See if that calms down the pH rise and acid demand.

Reactions: Maverick23
We can likely tweak your #s and targets to help lessen the PH rise if you post them up.

We can likely tweak your #s and targets to help lessen the PH rise if you post them up.
Sure; thanks! Here's what I typically see (as measured by Taylor test kit):

Alkalinity - 70 - 80
Calcium - 350
pH - Rises to about 8.2, 8.3 after a few days; acid bumps it down to about 7.3/7.4
CYA - 20
Chlorine - 3 - 5

Sure; thanks! Here's what I typically see (as measured by Taylor test kit):

Alkalinity - 70 - 80
Calcium - 350
pH - Rises to about 8.2, 8.3 after a few days; acid bumps it down to about 7.3/7.4
CYA - 20
Chlorine - 3 - 5

What is the TA and pH of your fill water?

How old is your plaster?

Alkalinity - 70 - 80
Calcium - 350
CYA - 20
Chlorine - 3 - 5
See ? Right there you're battling yourself. We've found a 60 TA and targeting a high 7 instead of a low one greatly helps.

Said advice may be altered by your response to the questions above, but it looks promising so far.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It does not stay in that range; it drops. I add about 10 - 15 lbs of baking soda, on average, per month.
That is called the Hamster wheel of pH and TA. Let the TA fall to 50 ppm. Let the pH rise. With your parameters, it should stabilize at or near 8.

Use your EasyTouch to reduce run time of water features. Only need to run the spa spillover for 20 minutes or so a couple times per day. Other features only when you wish to enjoy them.

Reactions: Newdude
Good, don't adjust the TA and leave it at 50 and let your pH find its natural equilibrium with your TA.

Should I have any concerns about keeping the pH on the higher side (around 8); I had always understood the target to be closer to 7.4 - 7.6. What I'm hearing, though, is that 8 is ok with my TA around 50. All of these parameters would keep my LSI at/around the right value.

I had always understood the target to be closer to 7.4 - 7.6
For SWGs we aim for 7.8 to 8. If you overshoot a little when lowering to 7.6, no biggie. It will still likely take longer to bounce back then when targeting low 7s.

Thanks for the guidance and direction. I’ll give this a try this season (pool opening on Thursday!) and see if it reduces acid consumption.

Reactions: Newdude