Circupool SWG causes white milky colored output when turned on

jhuehne

Aug 15, 2015
Lakeville/MN
I have a very strange issue I need help with. This is my 4th year with my circupool SG-40 SWG. I opened my pool just over a week ago. I bought a new head for my waterway sand filter, and also added a 1lbs package of ProTeam Power 73 on top of my ruby sand in the sand filter. I backwashed this for about 5 minutes until the water was clear to 'activate' the ruby sand. I ran ruby sand for the last couple of months last season without the chemical to activate it to make it work better.

After backwashing the sand filter, I turned off the pump and set it to filter and start circulating water. My pool water was actually pretty clear to start this year at opening. I tested my SWG by turning it on to make sure it generated bubbles/whisping like it normally does. It did, so I turned it back off. Everything looked normal at this point. I tested my water and saw my salt was at 1600, so I added salt based on the poolmath app until I got to 3600 (3500+ recommended for SG-40). After I had my water test levels looking decent I added a sock of stabilizer to start raising my CYA as it was bottomed out and turned on my SWG since the chlorine was also bottomed out. As soon as I turned on the SWG, the cell output a massive sustained burst of white into the pool. When inspecting it from above on my deck it looks like milk in the water. When up close it looks like alot of super tiny white bubbles.

If I run the SWG for 30 to 60 minutes the white water clears up maybe 90% with just some hazy type water along the surface around the top of the pool (water flow pattern from inlet). If I turn off the SWG for a few hours and turn it back on it does the huge burst of white liquid into the pool. I've never saw this before. I talked to Circupool support today and they said to let it run for 2-3 days to see if it goes away. I asked the pool store where I got that power 73 and they have never saw this.

How do I fix this issue?

Here are my taylor test kits numbers for water chemistry:

ph: 7.4
fc: 1.5
cc: 0
TA: 100
CH: 200
Salt: 3600
CYA: 80

I had the pool store test my water as suggested by Circupool support and here is what they saw:

FC: 1.27
TC: 1.52
CC: 0.25
ph: 7.1
Alk:100
Adjusted Alk: 70
Hardness: 117
CYA: 91
Salt: 3885
Iron 0
Copper 0
Borate 0

Before SWG is turned on:
poolbeforeswg.jpg

1min after SWG is on:
poolwithswg.jpg

I'm not sure what to try at this point other than maybe a sustained backwash and fill some more, or an acid wash on the cell which Circupool said I should not have to do on the SJ-40 cell.

Thoughts?

We see this every year in the spring. No idea why.
Seems to occur most in cooler water.
It is not an issue and will clear up in time.

You need to raise your FC into the target range for your CYA. Use liquid chlorine for that. Otherwise all is good.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.