Circupool smartflo pumps

I have a Speck Badu-MV 2.4HP variable speed pool pump. This was the very same pump as the Circupool VJ-3 pump a few years ago. Since then they have switched to a Century motor with more electronic control versatility. The pump was rated as the 2nd most efficient pump behind only the Hayward Ecostar VSP 2300 and better than the Pentair Intelliflo. It is easy to program and has been running 24/7 for 3 years without issue. If I had to buy a new pump today I would not hesitate to buy a new Circupool variable speed pump.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I am looking for efficiency data for the current offering of Circupool Smartflo VS pumps. I didn't see them in @mas985 's pump data spreadsheet. @GamecockTim , where did you find the data you referred to above?
Trying to find the most efficient pump available to run a new construction pool/6-jet spa.

Last edited:
EnergyStar recently changed their database format using WEF so I am not able to their current data. But you can still download it.

But be aware that WEF is not always the best metric for comparing pumps because it assumes 20% at 80% speed which is not very realistic and penalizes higher HP VS pumps when they should not be.

Last edited:
Thank you! What are your thoughts on WEF as a metric for comparison for our purposes? "Our purposes" being that, when looking at efficiency numbers, we are primarily concerned with running our pumps low speed on a "Curve C" category plumbing.

For example, the CircuPool SmartFlo 2.0 has a WEF of 8.4 vs the 3hp model has a 7.5 WEF. Would the 2.0hp be the more efficient pump for typical low speed circulation on a C-class curve? I'd still need to determine if 2hp would be enough for my future build, but would think so.

IMHO, I think WEF is pretty useless. Like I said, it will show lower THP pumps as being more efficient than higher THP pumps which is not true. Higher THP pumps have the "potential" of being less efficient only if they are run at higher flow rates but that is usually pretty rare and fully controlled by the user.

For example, the CircuPool SmartFlo 2.0 has a WEF of 8.4 vs the 3hp model has a 7.5 WEF. Would the 2.0hp be the more efficient pump for typical low speed circulation on a C-class curve? I'd still need to determine if 2hp would be enough for my future build, but would think so.
No, the lower THP pump is not more efficient. Again, an artifact of the way WEF is calculate. When running at the same flow rate, the larger THP pump is more likely to be more efficient than the lower THP pump. This is usually the case with pumps in the same pump product line.

So my recommendation is to forget about WEF since all VS pumps are very efficient. Get the largest THP pump in the pump line and you won't be sorry.

If you need some bedtime reading:

Reactions: BlueWave8
Thank you for the help, great data. I was actually getting ready to head to the beach so now I'll have something to read! :LOL:

I'll go with the CircuPool 3.0, its only $100 more than the 2.0, probably going to get it in the CircuPool equipment package with CJ-2750 filter, RJ-45+, and the little cyclone "pre-filter" they throw in.

Reactions: mas985

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
@BlueWave8 I'm in a similar boat as you. I'm looking to replace my dying A.O. Smith SQ1102 (SFHP 1.65) with a CircuPool SmartFlo, and I'm not sure which size to get. I was also thinking of getting the 3.0 since it's only $100 more than the 2.0. Have you installed yours yet?

@mas985 I have 1.5" piping, and I've been reading some of your older posts and I think you said in some cases that oversizing can cause issues, but here you're saying to get the largest size in the line. If you could please take a look at the photo of my equipment and confirm whether or not I should get the 3.0, I would greatly appreciate it. Also, would you recommend I upgrade the above ground piping to 2"?

Another thing that's confusing me is that the CircuPool site has a single manual for all the sizes, and it says that all of them max out at 3450 RPM. Is that true? If so, what does the additional HP provide?

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0190.jpeg
    IMG_0190.jpeg
    789.3 KB · Views: 17
Oversized is only relevant for single speed pumps. VS pumps are variable so the maximum rating is not all that relevant since you can always reduce RPM. Other than cost, there is no downside to a larger VS pump.

As for RPM vs HP, most all VS pumps max out at 3450 RPM. However, the larger THP pumps have larger impellers which can deliver higher pressure and flow rates.

Ah, that makes sense now. Thanks for the explanation. And the higher pressure would be beneficial for something like a Polaris cleaner, right?

Any thoughts on the plumbing? Should I keep my 1.5" pipes or replace the above ground ones with 2"?

The Polaris probably needs its own booster pump to operate properly. But it depends on the model.

Since you have to replace plumbing for the new pump anyway, it makes sense to go with 2" for the replacement pipe. Any other pipe is optional.

@monfresh I haven't put my pump in yet, still building my pool! ;-)

But I did order it and I do have it sitting in my garage. I also purchased the unions and the $88 "automation" adapter kit that lets you use relay outputs to select different speeds by automation (or a spa on/off switch).

Reactions: CajunCoding
Also looking for opinions on these pumps? I'm considering the CircuPool Smartflo 3.0 also as my current SS pump is on the way out. The DIY install warrenty is a nice reassurance to have but I still want a dependable pump. price is good to.

@TadPool , I'll post back to this thread when I get mine up, but I'm still a few months out on that....

For what it's worth, I went with CircuPool for the DIY warranty. Stuff happens, even on dependable pumps. I didn't want to spend more $ on a "dependable" Pentair or Hayward only to have them tell me I'm SOL when something goes wrong 100 days after my DIY install.

@monfresh @TadPool Finally got this pump up and running. It has only been a couple weeks but so far very happy with it. The quietest pump I've ever personally seen (others were Hayward Eco Star, a chinese no-name variable speed, Jandy 2 speeds) and plenty of power for my four spa jets. I could barely tell it was on standing next to it at 1500 RPM (like, seriously I thought it hadn't turned on). Very quiet even at 3000 RPM.

also @mas985 is this pump rebranded as something that is in the Pump Tools v026 spreadsheet? I did a lot of googling images of other pumps but couldnt find anything that matched the HHP and WEF that is listed for this pump at the energy start product guide.

Trying to use watts/RPM estimate to roughly reach the spec'd optimal flow rate for my heat pump (which is 60 GPM, interestingly enough)

Unfortunately, there is no energy data for that pump. Also, the Watts2GPM sheet is only a rough estimate as the GPM vs Watts curve is very flat so a small error in watts results in a very large error in GPM. It might be easier to use trial and error. Lower the RPM until the heat pump alarms, then raise the RPM by a 200 for margin. Or get a flow rate meter (e.g. FloVis). Or measure the pump pressure and suction and look up the GPM on the head loss curve:

1665423801731.png

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.