Circupool SJ40 not keeping up

JoniRae

Jun 11, 2020
Centerville, IA
Hello, I am new here. :) I have an 18x33x4 vinyl above-ground pool. I switched from a chlorine inline feeder to the Circupool SJ40 salt generator a few weeks ago. I started with completely fresh water. The salt generator will put enough chlorine in the pool if it runs constantly on the "boost" mode. To experiment, I changed it to 100% for 48 hours and no chlorine registers on my test strip. I called the company I bought it from and they said that the pool may have too many phosphates and needed treated for that. It had previously tested at just under 100ppb. I read some articles on this site and this site says that phosphates do not matter. So, I need suggestions on why my pool is not holding chlorine. I do need to add stabilizer. However, I never have before and my chlorine levels remained stable with a chlorine tab feeder. I appreciate your time and suggestions!

Welcome to the forum!
How do you test your pool water chemistry? Can you post your test results?
You say you need to add stabilizer. If your CYA is under 70 ppm you will find the SWCG will need to produce quite a bit more FC than it will with CYA at 70 - 80 ppm.
You should do a Overnight Chlorine Loss Test tonight to confirm if you are losing any chlorine to organics.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

I am testing my water chemistry with outdated test strips. I have new ones ordered. My CYA is 0 (tested on strips and at pool store). On the test strips the chlorine tested at 0 after the SWG has been running for 48 hours on 100%. So if it's testing at 0 at 8:45 pm, the OCLT won't work tonight (right?). :) The CYA is arriving on Monday. Thank you for your help! I will read the ABC's again to gain clarity.

Testing with strips is like swishing the pool water around in your mouth and guessing. The accuracy of both methods is the same.

You need a proper test kit. I suggest the TF-100 A proper test kit is needed to get the accurate water chemistry results needed to follow the TFP protocols.

With no CYA in the water, it isn't at all surprising that your SWG can't keep up. The chlorine is being burned off almost as fast as the SWG can make it. You were able to keep up before because chlorine tabs add cya with each and every dosage, and once it's in the water, the only way to lower it is with at least a partial drain and refill.

I'll second Mr. mknauss's advice on the TF-100. Test strips (or guess strips like we call them) won't get you the accuracy you need. They are all over the place and you simply can't trust the readings with any confidence.

Reactions: YippeeSkippy
Thank you all! Also, what is the likelihood of corrosion of the shell of the pool (it's steel-sided)? I have had answers that "salt levels are so low now it isn't a worry" to "take the SWG out immediately, the pool will rust to nothing in 5 years!"

Is not there a vinyl liner between the 'shell of the pool' and the water?

Can you fill out your signature? Really helps us help you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.