circupool RJ45 goes Kaboom !

fishinabarrel

Silver Supporter
May 9, 2012
Huntersville, NC
Well it looks like during the last 20F cold snap, water leaked from the cell into the chamber where the electrical contacts are.
A few days ago, came out to see water spurting from the unit !!

circupoolExplode.jpg

explode2.jpg

This is the older style RJ45 with the vertical setup.
So, a new cell would be needed. And a new cable. I don't see cable as a part for sale.
I took the control unit apart and I can see where the cable attaches, looks straightforward. I have contacted the company and asked if replacing the cable is possible.

So new cell would be $495. Cable cost unknown. The controller I assume will all still work fine.
What would you do in this scenario, Fix and repair or look for a new SWG ?

If new, I am leaning to a Hayward AQR15 or circupool Universal40.

And how do I avoid this in the future? Pool is in NC, we don't winterize the pool. The chlorinator was installed this past summer and was purchased used.

For future reference, if this happens to you, it can be fixed.

Cell is $495
Housing is $88
New cable is $72.

$650 for parts (not sure if that includes shipping)
Now I shall ponder whether this gets fized or if I just go buy a whole new SWG system of some sort.

It's your call on what to replace it with, but whatever route you go you should install a dummy cell housing that you insert during the winter months. Most brands have them for $50ish or so.

How would the control box not be damaged if the wires melted? surely the short went to the control box. I would start over at this point. The Aquarite I found an installer on craigs list who installed one for a friend for like 950 installed for the 40K version.

Looks like going rate is 900 new for the Aquarite and 600 with rebuilt cell

Hayward Aquarite Pool Salt Chlorine System ** REBUILT** AQR15 Pools up to 40k | eBay

I'd personally have an aquarite if I didn't need it to interface with my jandy aqua link

How would the control box not be damaged if the wires melted? surely the short went to the control box. I would start over at this point. The Aquarite I found an installer on craigs list who installed one for a friend for like 950 installed for the 40K version.

Looks like going rate is 900 new for the Aquarite and 600 with rebuilt cell

Hayward Aquarite Pool Salt Chlorine System ** REBUILT** AQR15 Pools up to 40k | eBay

I'd personally have an aquarite if I didn't need it to interface with my jandy aqua link

Thanks for the input.

I think you are right about the control box being possibly damaged, that it is best to start new.
I thought I'd have a few months to decide but with the cold snap in NC this past weekend, I needed the pool pump running.
I opted for the $4.80 solution of PVC piping to remove the SWG system entirely.

Survived the weekend of cold !
Maybe it is back to another summer of bleach buying every other week. I can take my time now at least on whatever path I choose.

A new Hayward AQR15 can be had online for under $900. I've been using one for 12 years and love it. I wouldn't consider any used or "rebuilt" SWG equipment.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.