Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45 Plus
Hi All,

I took the plunge over the Winter and bought myself a SWCG. I'm starting to plan my install now and would like some feedback on whether there will be any problems with my proposal.

My 1.5" pipe makes a 90 degree turn down about 18" after the filter outlet. This vertical section is 22" for the between the inside edges of the elbows. I think this gives me enough room to install the cell as well as the flow switch. The manual doesn't say anything about not installing the flow switch in a down vertical position. Do I have to worry about it wearing out and activating by gravity.

The other option would require more extensive modifications to prevent the cell and switch from sitting on the ground in the horizontal section that starts at the bottom of the vertical.

Please see attached pictures.

Thanks!

Attachments

• PXL_20210425_201118142~2.jpg
    PXL_20210425_201118142~2.jpg
    627.8 KB · Views: 115
  • PXL_20210425_200637090~2.jpg
    PXL_20210425_200637090~2.jpg
    647.4 KB · Views: 112
Pictures I've seen in manuals of vertical installations usually show the flow switch on the "up" side, but I don't know that I've ever seen it called out. Just like some installation manuals say it's okay to power the SWCG always when using a self-timed variable speed pump, and some don't. They all seem to use the same generic flow switches; I doubt some are "more reliable" than others. More likely it's just whose lawyers caught that and told the marketing team they couldn't say that (potentially losing some sales).

While spring failure is probably rare, it seems prudent to add another layer of fail-safe by mounting it either horizontal or on an upward section. In your case I'd put the flow switch on the horizontal run; you appear to have plenty of space on the top just before the elbow heading down.

Caveat -- I installed mine vertical without thinking about this with the flow switch on the "down" side, before I read the logical arguments here. I have 2 horizontal tees for Stenner injection points, and It's on my list to move the flow switch to one of those.

You want the flow switch to be on an up flow so if the flow switch fails gravity causes it to fail open with no flow. Orienting the flow switch down will cause it to fail closed with no flow which is what you are trying to prevent.

Reactions: proavia and Newdude
My 1.5" pipe makes a 90 degree turn down about 18" after the filter outlet. This vertical section is 22"
The RJ Series is shipped with 2" couplers and flow switch. Make sure you factor 2" to 1.5" reducer-bushings into your length estimates. I measured a single bushing installed on my plumbing at 0.375". You'll need two for each component.

Last edited:
Reactions: MITBeta
What about the flow switch along the top, as pictured below? I get the issue with having anything along the bottom, it is tight down there. But it looks like you have plenty of room after the filter and that valve (all of which counts as straight pipe) to mount the flow switch before the 90, then the SWCG in the middle of the vertical run. You should even be able to reuse the existing pipe and elbows, cutting out an inch or so on top for the flow switch and a foot or so on the vertical for the cell. Measure carefully of course!

Attachments

• swgfs.png
    swgfs.png
    5.7 KB · Views: 9
Reactions: Newdude
What about the flow switch along the top, as pictured below?
This picture is from last year. In the meantime, I installed a flow meter in that location so that I could try to assure myself that a SWG flow switch would close on the low speed of the pump. I think installing the SWG flow switch in this location will not only be difficult, but I also worry one switch will affect the other.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I decided to go with the middle option in my drawing.

The manual says to consider the wire side of the cell to be the inlet. In this case, the wire will be facing up. They are somewhat protected by a deck, but do I need to worry about rain or any other water getting into the connector and causing problems?

I did all my gluing last night and the piping is curing in my living room. I'm getting excited to install it and open the pool, although I know the cell won't operate for a couple more weeks due to the low water temperatures.

Reactions: Newdude
I got my pool opened and finished the SWG installation today. There were just a few big leaves on the bottom that I got with the net before dropping the robot in.

Water temp was 48F, pH 7.5, FC 8.5. This is down from 16 at close on Nov. 1.

I haven't tested anything else yet.

PXL_20220402_185406888.MP_copy_2016x1512.jpgPXL_20220402_202424801.MP_copy_2016x1512.jpg

PXL_20220402_183334732.MP_copy_2016x1512.jpg

It was a little tricky getting the lubed o-rings to stay in place on the unions, but no leaks so far.
PXL_20220402_183330823.MP_copy_1512x2016.jpg

I mounted the power supply on the north side of the deck, as far from the pool as I could get.

PXL_20220402_183324258.MP_copy_2016x1512.jpg

Tomorrow I'll go buy the salt and get it mixing. Last time I tested it was around 1000ppm. I'll test again before adding more.

Can't wait for the water to warm up to fire it up.

I would build a little cover to protect the controller from the elements.
The manual states:

... do not install the Control Module within 10 feet of the pool edges.
And
The Module is fully rated for outdoor use; common sense considerations such as minimizing direct exposure to rain, sunlight, water runoff, and lawn sprinkler systems...

I have could install it under the pool deck. There's room for it next to this outlet:

PXL_20220403_175708925.MP_copy_2016x1512.jpg
But it's within 10' of the pool.

I don't have much else to work with. PXL_20220403_175849239.MP_copy_2016x1512.jpgPXL_20220403_175833674.MP_copy_2016x1512.jpg

Any advice is appreciated. I'm trying to imagine what a cover for it would look like.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.