Circupool question

rllackey28

Jun 9, 2017
Williamson, WV
Hey everyone, it snowed here in WV last night but in a month my kids will expect the pool to be open. Especially if they are still on COVID-19 lockdown from school. So I'm going to change my pool over from Liquid Chlorine to an SWG this year because 1) I am tired of dealing with jugs and 2) because I think I'm going to be hard pressed to find liquid chlorine this year anyway. So with all my reading on here and the fact that since I started frequenting TFP my pool is clear, it appears that a Circupool SWG is the best way to go. I'm torn between the RJ-60 PLUS and the CORE-55. My pool is about 28K gallons. Currently when my pool is on, it's 24/7 which I know is inefficient. I'll be fixing that as well. I just need to find a timer and get it all hooked up. So a few questions/pleas for help.

1. Do you agree with my choice of Circupool?
  2. If yes to 1, any recommendations between the two I mentioned.
  3. Any recommendations for a timer that I can install.
I know most of this is a rehashing for you all. Thanks for taking the time to respond and pass the Germ-X.

1. I just installed mine, so I would be biased to Circupool right? Ha. But just like Ford, Chevy, Toyota, etc, there are fans of every make & model. Hayward, Pentair, and others make good products as well, just depends on the features you want and what your gut tells you. Circupool definitely has the owner-friendly warranty though.
2. I have the RJ-45 Plus, so I can't speak to the CORE. Others here can. I've seen the threads. If I can find a link or two I'll post below.
3. If your pump is wired for 240V, then you can simply use Intermatic's T-104 and run both the pump and SWG form the timer.

If your pump is wired for 240V, then you can simply use Intermatic's T-104 and run both the pump and SWG form the timer.
Just a quick note on the timer...if it will be exposed to weather, get the T-104R. It's rated for outdoor use.

Good luck on your installation.

Either of those will work well for you at that size of pool. I'm about to buy a 40K unit for my 13K pool, so that is in the same ballpark. At the higher end like you are talking about there isn't a lot of choice. I would rule out the SJ unless you were on a budget so you correctly picked the two that apply to your condition. Though, honestly I haven't read bad about those either.

The Core will be simpler/quicker to install and is supposedly "newer technology" and the RJ+ series is the current flag ship. In practical use they will work about the same. It depends, IMHO, on the exposure that the control unit will get. The Core to me looks like it is asking for control panel damage or sun damage. This obviously could be easily mitigated, though.

I have an unused and not hooked up Intermatic timer in my panel, but I am thinking of leaving it that way and doing the install 110V off the light circuit with a digital timer switch. I think the current requirements are low enough that it will likely work and I won't have to mess with a mechanical timer that will offset it's settings with power outages when the VSP I have will not. If it works, I'll let everyone know. :)

There is also a post here of using a CH Magnetics current switch on the pump motor for VSP pumps...which is super clever....but 8x more expensive than the digital timer switch.

Wait.. sorry I see that you are using a Hayward Superpump. You should just hook it up at 220V with the existing pump timer (Intermatic or not).... off on a tangent again, I go....

I installed a CORE-55 last summer, and it has worked well for me. I chose the CORE-55 over the RJ-60 because it was easier to install it in my situation. Knowing what I now know, I think the RJ would have worked for me as well. One advantage of the RJ is that it has fine % output adjustments (5% vs. 25%) and it displays water temperature and salt level, while the CORE does not. The CORE has "cold water" and "low salt" warning lights instead.

If you want the extra bells and whistles, go for the RJ. If want a bit simpler installation, look at the CORE. My two cents...

Congrats on your purchase and welcome to the world of SWG pools. I purchased the RJ-60+ prior to the 2019 season for my 35K gallon pool. Overall, my experience has been amazing as my pool remained much cleaner and clear for the first years use.

I wou;d have recommended the RJ series due the finer control which really helped me dial in my chlorine generation with demand.

Some other points to contemplate:

• VS pump is really valuable with a SWG. Mine reduced my electric bill $40-60 a month under normal conditions and more when I fought algae. The longer the pump runs, the more chlorine a SWG can generate
  • Current sensing relay is an additional safety swtich. In the event the flow switch fails, the SWG can generate chlorine and hydrogen gas. Building pressure, chlorine will react with other compounds and hydrogen gas can build up which can result in an explosion and/or chlorine gas release. The relay switch senses current on the pump and acts as a fail safe in addition to the switch
  • The water is nicer! My 5 year old now refuses to swim in a non SWG chlorinated pool. It just feels great
  • Salt buy morton pool salt if you can find a good price, otherwise water softener salt should work great just takes a day to dissolve. Do not use the Clorox pool salt, many horror stories exist!
Sure there is a lot more to say. Generally love the SWG and changed my pool owner experience. You will love it!

Regards

Last edited:
Well, I went with the CORE-55. I wanted easier to remove. I live in a floodplain and on occasion I've had to remove my pump. I want removal of the SWG to be as quick as possible. I also plan to remove it during the winter months. Thank you to everyone for the info.

I am looking forward to swimming in my pool, the water does look smoother but water temp is still 67 :(

I am looking forward to swimming in my pool, the water does look smoother but water temp is still 67 :(
You are getting close.. we have been swimming in 75F water. Need to hop into the hot tub when we are done (or a warm shower) but it's not bad otherwise!

Reactions: markayash
We've had a cold spell the past few days which dropped my pool temp by 10 degrees. Looking forward to getting in there though to see if we feel a difference in the water. After almost 7 years of liquid chlorine, the salt content rose to almost 3K on its own, so I didn't need to add much salt, so we'll see. But I agree, after stalling for so long on the purchase, it's nice not having to be so vigilant about adding liquid each & every day.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We've had a cold spell the past few days which dropped my pool temp by 10 degrees. Looking forward to getting in there though to see if we feel a difference in the water. After almost 7 years of liquid chlorine, the salt content rose to almost 3K on its own, so I didn't need to add much salt, so we'll see. But I agree, after stalling for so long on the purchase, it's nice not having to be so vigilant about adding liquid each & every day.

I keep checking my CL levels and everyday they are the same 4.5.. Still trying to break the habit but it doesn't help being in this crazy lock down..
Just wish it was 85 degree's outside so I could at least work form the pool deck :)

Reactions: Rattus Suffocatus
Do you not already have a timer on your Superpump?

If so set up the generator transformer taps for 240V and hook it in parallel with what is already there.

The purpose of the timer is to only allow the generator to be powered up when the pump is running. So however you have your pump configured now, you can just hook it across that. If you don't have a timer at all, and run 24/7 then you might need a timer to regulate down chlorine generation on top of the percentage control on the cells. If that is the case you could either look into that Intermatic timer (for control of the cell or both the cell and the pump), or use a much less expensive 110V digital timer only for the SWCG.

I have a Hayward VSP and that is what I am going to do. Put it on it's own breaker, GFCI and a "Decora" style wall switch timer. That way I will have both sets of timers (the one in the pump control) and the one controlling the SWCG on a battery backed up timer in case the power fails. And I have an unhooked, unused mechanical Intermatic timer in my panel....

Do you not already have a timer on your Superpump?

If so set up the generator transformer taps for 240V and hook it in parallel with what is already there.

The purpose of the timer is to only allow the generator to be powered up when the pump is running. So however you have your pump configured now, you can just hook it across that. If you don't have a timer at all, and run 24/7 then you might need a timer to regulate down chlorine generation on top of the percentage control on the cells. If that is the case you could either look into that Intermatic timer (for control of the cell or both the cell and the pump), or use a much less expensive 110V digital timer only for the SWCG.

I have a Hayward VSP and that is what I am going to do. Put it on it's own breaker, GFCI and a "Decora" style wall switch timer. That way I will have both sets of timers (the one in the pump control) and the one controlling the SWCG on a battery backed up timer in case the power fails. And I have an unhooked, unused mechanical Intermatic timer in my panel....

Did you have your SWG installed yet?
I like the digital smart timers, that way you have better control...Plus some show watts/amps used

Did you have your SWG installed yet?
I like the digital smart timers, that way you have better control...Plus some show watts/amps used
I haven't yet as I wasted a lot of time on the weekend figuring out the plumbing install, and I finished the sun/rain roof I was building... plus I have a lot of bleach to use up and I really ought to do tabs for about a week too to get CYA up a little. But your install and the use of the Kill-A-Watt inspired what I am doing for my electrical. 110V, digital timer, own 15A breaker & circuit, regular 15A GFCI, and box and a plug on the control unit so I can plug a Kill-A-Watt into it. :) I hope to get it installed this weekend and turn it on maybe the week after that... I also have to pull and clean the cartridge filters this weekend, hopefully that won't take a lot of extra time.

I haven't yet as I wasted a lot of time on the weekend figuring out the plumbing install, and I finished the sun/rain roof I was building... plus I have a lot of bleach to use up and I really ought to do tabs for about a week too to get CYA up a little. But your install and the use of the Kill-A-Watt inspired what I am doing for my electrical. 110V, digital timer, own 15A breaker & circuit, regular 15A GFCI, and box and a plug on the control unit so I can plug a Kill-A-Watt into it. :) I hope to get it installed this weekend and turn it on maybe the week after that... I also have to pull and clean the cartridge filters this weekend, hopefully that won't take a lot of extra time.

These work great, show power and you can set a schedule :) I have at least 7 around my house and never had a problem

Hey everyone, it snowed here in WV last night but in a month my kids will expect the pool to be open. Especially if they are still on COVID-19 lockdown from school. So I'm going to change my pool over from Liquid Chlorine to an SWG this year because 1) I am tired of dealing with jugs and 2) because I think I'm going to be hard pressed to find liquid chlorine this year anyway. So with all my reading on here and the fact that since I started frequenting TFP my pool is clear, it appears that a Circupool SWG is the best way to go. I'm torn between the RJ-60 PLUS and the CORE-55. My pool is about 28K gallons. Currently when my pool is on, it's 24/7 which I know is inefficient. I'll be fixing that as well. I just need to find a timer and get it all hooked up. So a few questions/pleas for help.

1. Do you agree with my choice of Circupool?
  2. If yes to 1, any recommendations between the two I mentioned.
  3. Any recommendations for a timer that I can install.
I know most of this is a rehashing for you all. Thanks for taking the time to respond and pass the Germ-X.
I just installed a Core 35 for my 7.5k pool, super easy install. So far seems to be working great.
I am curious to see how it stands up in the rain as there are vent holes on the top.
Well see soon as rain is expected later this week.

I just installed a Core 35 for my 7.5k pool, super easy install. So far seems to be working great.
I am curious to see how it stands up in the rain as there are vent holes on the top.
Well see soon as rain is expected later this week.

Mine has been installed for two months now and it's great. I never have to worry about my chlorine. One of the best purchases I've ever made.

I've had the Circupool Edge 40 since end of December 2019.
So far no issues whatsoever.
Moved from Hayward SWG where every few months some light would come on.

So far its been awesome

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.