Circupool Edge chlorine production less than advertised?

hshs01

May 17, 2020
Glendale, AZ
Hello folks, after reading many threads and community recommendations here for CircuPool, decided to go with the Edge 25 and completed the install last week (my first time for any real PVC work :smile:). The system does generate chlorine but not to their advertised levels. More like 60-70%.

On the day of testing, I ran both my pumps for 2 hours without the SWG ON after dusk. Took the first FC reading. Then ran SWG at 100% for 4 hours. And then let both the pumps run again to circulate without SWG to take the final FC reading.

Initial FC reading: 3.2
SWG runtime: 4 hours at 100%
Final FC reading: 4.4
But if I use pool math, FC should be around 5.2 for my 12k gallons pool.

Since the whole test ran on night, I assume there wasn't any chlorine consumption. Also nobody was in the pool for last 2 days before this test. Other numbers:
Ph: maintaining at 7.6
Salt: 3600 ppm (their recommended level is 3500)
Alkalinity: 110
CYA: 70
Calcium: 290 (from 2 weeks ago but shouldn't have changed much)

Am I doing this right? Did I get a lemon? Has anyone else measured their CircuPool's output?

Last edited:
I have the edge 40 and was running it at 30% and kicking butt until I Vitamin C iron treatment and left FC at 0 too long and then it wasn't keeping up. Started seeing Algae spots but Just completed a SLAM and expect it to be back to normal.
I agree with Allen do a Cl loss test and see if your good.
Also do you see lots of bubbles around the plates when on High?

Thanks for the responses!

Not bubbles but more like cloudy water even on 100%. It does maintain the FC levels I want but only when running the system for much longer than I was anticipating before.

I'm doing the overnight chlorine loss test right now. Going to take measures around the same time. I wasn't expecting a huge demand on FC during nights. We have barely used the pool this season and had to empty/fill the pool with fresh water just a month ago while fixing my years old IFC nozzles. But nonetheless I'll know for sure in the early morning :geek: Will post the results here...

Do your FC test with a 25 ML sample and 0.2 per drop.

I underestimated the size of my pool, was told by the previous owners ( 18 years ago ) it was around 18K so I bought the Edge 40..Learning after measuring and adding salt its more like 28K.
I run my pump at 4psi 24x7 and have my edge set at 50% and my levels seems to be steady at FC 5.5.
I have been out of town and was happy to see them level after a mini SLAM

Allen, so for the same duration at night, there was no chlorine loss! I did use the 0.2 accuracy test using 25 ml sample with my Taylor FAS-DPD kit. Maybe I can put it at 0.1 if I also take into the account the pinkness before the last drop 🤓

Mark, my previous owner also underestimated the size I guess that's a common thing 😏 to his defense though he always hired a company to do everything. Mine is a kidney shaped pool with diving depth at the far end. I reverified the size when I was refiling and also while adding salt bags. 8 - 40 lb bags and the levels increased to 3600 from 400 putting it right around 12k. What are the salt levels you went with?

Allen, so for the same duration at night, there was no chlorine loss! I did use the 0.2 accuracy test using 25 ml sample with my Taylor FAS-DPD kit. Maybe I can put it at 0.1 if I also take into the account the pinkness before the last drop 🤓

Mark, my previous owner also underestimated the size I guess that's a common thing 😏 to his defense though he always hired a company to do everything. Mine is a kidney shaped pool with diving depth at the far end. I reverified the size when I was refiling and also while adding salt bags. 8 - 40 lb bags and the levels increased to 3600 from 400 putting it right around 12k. What are the salt levels you went with?

Mine is about 3100 now and I plan on adding a few more bags and getting to around 3400. YOu may just need to run your pump more, I have a VS pump and run it 24 hours on low speed.
If I am reading your post correctly, looks like you ran the pump/SWG for 4 hours and your FC went up, SWG won't raise it quickly most of the time.

It took mine 18 hours to go from 1 to 7 on 100% but has no issues maintaining 5.5

It took mine 18 hours to go from 1 to 7 on 100% but has no issues maintaining 5.5

That's impressive! If I use pool math for Edge 40 at 1.7 lb output, that's more than the expected 5.5 raise!

I'm getting completely different results with my Edge with only around 60% promised output even with perfect conditions. I oversized the SWG so I don't have to run longer, no VS here so that's not an option I want to take just cause the product is inferior.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
On the call they didn't seem very happy for my controlled testing of their Edge 40 system. Apparently not many people pay much attention to how much chlorine the system is actually generating. The rep also didn't seem to entertain that discussion much and was more insisting on making sure I increase the run time and % output of the system.

My point being I decided on getting that system based on it's chlorine production and how much runtime I need in general. Now I'm not okay increasing my run time on my single speed pump just cause the numbers were inflated by a good margin.

I don't know if I'm making a big deal out of this but I feel like I paid for a car with 30MPG and only getting 20MPG. I can still get to San Diego just fine but not with the same amount of gas :cool:

Have you done more than one controlled night time test? What if it runs for more like 6 or 8 hours? How long have you had it?
Yeah the first time I ran the SWG for 6 hours. So two test runs so far. With 6 hours, I started at FC of 2.6 and ended at 4.6, but should have been 5.6. So around 66% production. The only difference was I ran my pumps for 1 hour before and after without the SWG instead of 2 hours in the next test run. It takes 3-4 hours for my filter to turnover all once, so I assume pool wasn't that well circulated for the readings.

I think 6 hours SWG (and 1+1 hours of circulation before and after) is going to the be max in my area without the sun. Sunset around 8 and sunrise around 5!

25K generator running 12 hours a day in your half sized versus rating pool should produce enough chlorine for what industry says is a sufficient amount of FC of ... what 3-4 or so? (Pool Math says 6.0 under this condition) so you probably need to run it 13-14 hours at 100% for your pool and TFP levels... I suspect you are in the ballpark for your unit. This is why I went with a 40K unit for my 14K pool. I only run it 30% for 14 hours and it almost produces too much Cl- on a pool that is always covered when not in use.

If you are running a 25K unit in a 12K pool six hours a day then it's probably producing much more than it's rated. Remember the ratings on these things are based on 100% level 24 hrs a day!

One thing about DSP/Circupool (same company)... the buy apparently quality units internationally to resell--- I think whomever sources CompuPool in Au also supplies them (though they may very well have a completely separate product line now), plus they keep the Chinese unit that's also the Hayward GoldLine (minus the RS-422 line-driver/port on the power board) -- which is what I have-- the Universal -- but only in one size now. And, honestly they simply can't (likely) or don't answer technical questions. But they are supposedly pretty reputable to deal with problems.

But technical questions? Forget it. Especially at the level a Engineer, Computer Guy or other Technical Guy would ask.

Why did I buy the lower warranty almost-Hayward unit?... because there is a lot of info out there on how to fix the Haywards when they break, and being an electrical engineer I can handle that. The unit is at least 90% the same at the board level after looking at GoldLine schematics compared to my unit.

Verify the pounds of Chlorine per day in pool math matches the spec sheet as well. Pool Math isn't infallible.

It seems like you are expecting the 25K unit to produce enough for a 40k pool at 100% 24/7 run time based on what you are saying.

I see where you got the 2.0 number from for the 4 hour test after playing with pool math. You are still going to lose some chlorine after dark.. I am not sure that is the correct way to do it. The evaporation rate in Arizona right now is so bad because it's so dry that you might be competing with the evaporation. Do you have a solar cover you can put on? If so try it again with that.

If anything, my Ui 40 puts our MORE than the ratings....

I think it's most possible that your pool is bigger than you think. It happened to me and I was careful to measure when filling...but it was also raining out heavily at the time.... especially if the pool is free form.....

I raised my CYA to the recommended level against my judgement and my free Chlorine went up. I trust the recommended levels just had CYA so me so much grief it’s hard to add it back :)
I am at 1/4 power on my edge 40 but run my pump 24/7

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.