Florida
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Truclear / Ei
Why is the pool pump circuit breaker tripping all the time?
The other circuit breaker(in same breaker box) for the GFI outlet and pool lights never trips.
Got home from work around 12 today and saw water wasn't moving in the pool. Went to box and breaker was tripped. There was No rain or lightning or today.
The pump requires 7amps I believe, and it’s a 20amp breaker.
This is probably the 5th time or so it has done this since June.

You either have a weak circuit breaker that needs replacing or a GFCI fault in the pump motor.

Could be a seal starting to leak some moisture into the motor, could be some corrosion developing. You can check the motor wiring connections and see they are corrosion free.

Pump is only 3 months old.. Jandy somehow let a 4 year old pump slip through and my PB installed it. Well after issues with that pump, I callled Jandy and have them serial number it was determined I had an old pump.
been nothing but issues I tell ya.

It’s a double 10amp
Breaker. The lights are single 10amp breaker and my kitchen outlets are 15 amp breaker.
I’ll call the builder tomorrow and let him know what’s going on since it’s still under warranty.

It’s a double 10amp
Breaker.

It should be a double 20 amp. The double is to break both hot lines of a 240V circuit.

If it is under warranty turn it over to the builder.

Post a pic of your breaker panel.

The 10A breaker isn't likely enough for the initial surge when it starts. If you look at the plate on the motor it should list maximum current on it. A breaker should be rated at 50% more than that. Look and have the warranty guy put the right sized one in. It's about a $12 fix regardless.

The 20A/240V double is likely the right value.

Reactions: csn
A quality double pole 20amp gfci breaker is 50-100 depending on brand. They do go bad especially when used outdoors. The breaker looks for around 5ma difference in the nuetral to line differential and that's what trips it. Very sensitive equipment but pumps are known to trip breakers. pentair has it's own gfci brand breaker just for pumps and it works well

Reactions: csn
The 10A breaker isn't likely enough for the initial surge when it starts. If you look at the plate on the motor it should list maximum current on it. A breaker should be rated at 50% more than that. Look and have the warranty guy put the right sized one in. It's about a $12 fix regardless.

The 20A/240V double is likely the right value.

I doubt he has a 10A breaker for his pump. I think it was a typo.

Reactions: Frank in FL

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I was mistaken on the breaker amperage. Here’s a pic.

Attachments

• 4331BBBC-6FE7-4088-BE5A-30A3B5B7FF92.jpeg
    4331BBBC-6FE7-4088-BE5A-30A3B5B7FF92.jpeg
    388.3 KB · Views: 20
Since you have a VS pump and a SWG, how are you controlling the SWG to make sure that it's not getting power when the pump is off?

The builder should have used automation with a built in subpanel.

How old is the breaker and subpanel?

Does the breaker trip when you press the "Test" button?

VS pumps generate certain electrical fluctuations that can trip a GFCI.

You might have to switch to the Pentair breaker because it is designed to be resistant to the types of fluctuations that a vs pump can generate.

Have the builder check the wiring to make sure that it's done properly.

The SWG turns on after approximately two minutes From when when the pump is initially turn on.

The entire pool package was completed in June, 6 months ago.

The breaker does trip when I hit the test button.

Since you have a VS pump and a SWG, how are you controlling the SWG to make sure that it's not getting power when the pump is off?

The builder should have used automation with a built in subpanel.

How old is the breaker and subpanel?

Does the breaker trip when you press the "Test" button?

The box mounted on the wall is how I adjust what percentage I want the SWG to run at.

Attachments

• DE818555-BF32-4847-8773-9D01BD07E792.jpeg
    DE818555-BF32-4847-8773-9D01BD07E792.jpeg
    278.1 KB · Views: 11
This is what is used to control the pump. As far as adjusting the schedule changing the pump speed everything else is done with their app.

When the pump gets turned all the control box for the Swg also turns off.

Attachments

• AA022A14-CED8-4671-8480-835B38B5799B.jpeg
    AA022A14-CED8-4671-8480-835B38B5799B.jpeg
    395.3 KB · Views: 4
I suspect that it could be harmonics from the variable frequency drive. Have the builder check everything since it's under warranty. You might want to switch to the Pentair breaker.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.