Chorine usage high

Jun 8, 2014
Rogers, AR
Since the temps started dropping I have been using higher amounts of chlorine than past years. The pool looks great and all my numbers are in line.

Results from yesterday:
CL 6
CYA 40
TA 60
CH 75
Ph 7.2

My pool has looked fabulous and have passed every OCLT all summer long. Yesterday I had to change my weir door and the old one had a small amount of algae on the foam which surprised me. Today, the pool company blew out my main drain for closing and holy cow the stuff came flying out. I was shocked I have never seen this before when they closed. The drain was working as normal and I had no idea it had so much grass and leaves were down in there. I checked that ladder ends after they pulled it and didn't see any green, other than pulling the light next year I don't know what could have caused this daily usage.

Could these things have been causing the higher chlorine usage?

The drain was working as normal and I had no idea it had so much grass and leaves were down in there.

I wouldn't think the main drain is working "normal" if it is allowing debris to build up in the line. You might want to make sure it is working properly when you open next year. Close off the skimmer(s) if possible and see if the pump continues to work.

My guess is there is more junk in the line, possibly trapped by the main drain cover now, causing your higher than normal FC consumption.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.