Choosing a new pump

Hammond

Bronze Supporter
Apr 23, 2017
Dallas, TX
I need a new pump. I’ve attached pics of what I have now. I also have a Polaris booster pump. Currently they are controlled with a timer.

I’m thinking of getting either a 2 speed or variable. I don’t have any automation.

I’ve been looking at the Pentair models, but they have a confusing lineup with Intelliflow, Superflow, Whisperflow…..

Is it true that if I get a variable speed pump then I won’t use the timer any more?
Do any have a way to control the pump with an app without getting full automation?

It looks like I have unions and can replace the pump without major replumbing?

Any advice is appreciated

Attachments

• Top.jpeg
    Top.jpeg
    448.6 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1628.jpeg
    IMG_1628.jpeg
    467.6 KB · Views: 8
  • Motorv2.jpeg
    Motorv2.jpeg
    363.7 KB · Views: 8
Is it true that if I get a variable speed pump then I won’t use the timer any more?

Correct. A VS pump should get continuous power and be controlled by its control panel schedule.
Do any have a way to control the pump with an app without getting full automation?

Pentair Intelliflo3

It looks like I have unions and can replace the pump without major replumbing?

Depends what you consider major replumbing.

The existing pump is marked as 1.5 hp, 10 amp with a SF of 1.5. Does that mean a new 1.5 Intelliflow would be a like replacement?

Post pics of the motor data plate.

1.5HP motor with a 1.5 SF is a 2.25 THP pump.

You should get the 3HP Intelliflo.

The existing pump is marked as 1.5 hp, 10 amp with a SF of 1.5. Does that mean a new 1.5 Intelliflow would be a like replacement?
Those American Pool Products Ultra Flow pumps were very good, but were discontinued when Pentair bought the company. Parts are difficult to get so rebuilding that pump is not the best idea (and I usually recommend replacing the motor).
Get the largest in horsepower VSP you can to run at slower speeds for a long time to get the most benefit from a VSP.