dcfiver

Mar 21, 2024
Salt Lake City
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I did some reading here and it seems most are not fans of pool sand as a base. My local quarry recommends paver sand. Of course they're no experts, but they seem to think it would work well.

Opinions?

Welcome to TFP.

Sand base for what type and model pool?

Tell us the full story of what you are doing.

For an intex pool, your options are. 1. Concrete Pad very $$$ and not really a good option. 2) Bare dirt - hard to level and make smooth. 3) Sand $, easy to level and smooth out.

Paver sand is very gritty, and the downside of it is I believe over time, it may rub tiny holes in the bottom of the liner.

For an intex pool, your options are. 1. Concrete Pad very $$$ and not really a good option. 2) Bare dirt - hard to level and make smooth. 3) Sand $, easy to level and smooth out.

Paver sand is very gritty, and the downside of it is I believe over time, it may rub tiny holes in the bottom of the liner.
I did intend to use a Gorilla pad between the base and pool. However the price difference between paver and Mason sand is minimal, so I'm just looking for the conceivably best option.

Sand works. There is nothing that is "bad" about it.

It is just that many people prefer a commercial pad, or a base made of foam boards.

If you go with sand, use masons sand (aka masonry sand, or mortar sand - the same thing is known by different names across the US).

Masons sand is used mainly to make mortar. Mortar needs to be smooth and consistent to work well. The sand used in it is smaller grains, and uniform in size.

Concrete sand, beach sand, play sand, and paver sand are all larger, more angular grains, that are rougher on your liner.

And, you likely know this, but none of these are filter sand, which is what the quarry may have been thinking when you said pool sand.

Sand works. There is nothing that is "bad" about it.

It is just that many people prefer a commercial pad, or a base made of foam boards.

If you go with sand, use masons sand (aka masonry sand, or mortar sand - the same thing is known by different names across the US).

Masons sand is used mainly to make mortar. Mortar needs to be smooth and consistent to work well. The sand used in it is smaller grains, and uniform in size.

Concrete sand, beach sand, play sand, and paver sand are all larger, more angular grains, that are rougher on your liner.

And, you likely know this, but none of these are filter sand, which is what the quarry may have been thinking when you said pool sand.
Thank you. I specifically told the quarry I was looking to use the sand as a pool base.

I've read Mason sand is susceptible to erosion. Perhaps this has more to do with the set up and prep?