Chlorox pucks

Vector

Gold Supporter
I use liquid chlorine/bleach, muriatic acid and baking soda for most of my pool chemistry adjustments. Cyanuric acid if testing deems it.

So, anyway, went away on vacation and before I went, I bought some of those pucks, just as an insurance policy. I didn't realize they had copper in them...anyway here is the link.

http://www.kellysolutions.com/erenewals/documentsubmit/KellyData%5CND%5Cpesticide%5CMSDS%5C90106%5C5185-473-90106%5C5185-473-90106_CLOROX_POOL_SPA_ALGAECIDE_XTRA_BLUE_10_7_2014_4_55_55_PM.pdf

I'm trying to figure if i'll just use them in the pool 4 or 5x a summer when i'm away camping or whatever, or just return them to Costco. I do have the SWC, but I love having the pool nice and clear.

The copper content bothers me, but the dilution in my pool would be substantial, as it is around 54K or so.

Cool, thanks, Vector

How many tablets did you use? If only a few, please stop using them. Probability is that you will have no staining. You also may want to test for metals as well. I had a Frog System for 6 months and no staining, but I stopped once joining the forum.

It is up to you if you can return them. If not, give them away to someone who has a pool that does not care, etc.

I am pondering why you stated you use "liquid chlorine/bleach", then buy Trichlor with copper, and have a SWCG? I know your SWCG is just big enough, and I assume you supplement it so you do not have to run it 24/7 in the summer?

I understand were Catanzaro is on it -- you should not use items that add copper to your water as you must drain it to get rid of it.

Your decision - your copper levels may never get to the level of being a concern, but why risk it?

Take care.

Costco takes all returns with little or zero questions. Your SWCG is your "puck" system while on vacation. Before you go away for a while, use bleach to get to the upper end of the trget FC for a NON-SWG POOL and then use the SWG to help maintain your FC above the minimum FC until you return. You might have to run the ic60 at a higher percentage for more hours since your pool is so big, but that seems way better than copper pucks.

Vector:

If your SWG is working, there is absolutely no need to go through this guess work. Under normal circumstances, you keep the % of the SWG at xx level. If you go away, just increase the % to about double and bring up to SLAM Level with liquid chlorine. Add the liquid during the evening and trip the timer only for that night.

Enjoy the vacation and ask one of your "good" neighbors to just peek in the back yard to check on the pool water. A neighbor could always add a few more gallons.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.