SelenalovesTN

Jun 23, 2020
Culleoka, TN
Hey Ya'll! My Chlorine level is over 10. There is no color on my chart for it to score that is how high it is. My PH is 7.5. I shocked the pool 2 days ago. Added PH up last night. My 4yo wants to swim but I'm not sure it is safe. Suggestions please.................... THANK you

Welcome to TFP.
It sounds like you need to get a test kit so you know where you're at. An important measurement to have is the CYA along with the FC. I recommend a TFT test kit - - > TFTestkits.net
It would also be helpful if you added your pool info to your signature.
Then there is some reading you need to do to find out how to get away from the stuff you're using like "pH up" and shock. Using shock will clean your pool with chlorine but it also adds CYA which can be a problem over time. Over on the right is "Pool School" and for videos, TFP-TV if reading isn't your thing.

IMHO it would be safe for an adult to swim but I'm hesitant to give a recommendation on a child especially not knowing what you used to shock and how much. Hopefully someone with more experience and kids will jump in with their recommendation. It would be good to know the gallons of the pool and how much of what shock you added. Under normal SLAM (shock) levels of chlorine it's safe to swim.

Reactions: thefloatqueen
Hey Ya'll! My Chlorine level is over 10. There is no color on my chart for it to score that is how high it is. My PH is 7.5. I shocked the pool 2 days ago. Added PH up last night. My 4yo wants to swim but I'm not sure it is safe. Suggestions please.................... THANK you

Hello! Welcome to the best forum ever! 🙂 Sounds like you need a reliable testing kit. How are you testing your water currently? Also, if your FC is above 10, your pH reading will be invalid until it drifts below 10ppm. But we need more details!

Reactions: Kiss4aFrog
I may not have been clear. When you said your chart doesn't go over 10, we are going to assume you are using test strips. Test strips are cheap but the aren't that accurate. You need a good test kit with chemicals to be able to test higher levels of FC when doing a SLAM (shock) and also to be able to test the full range of chemistry to keep your pool not only looking clean but also hygienic. Getting the water crystal clear is one thing but that alone doesn't guarantee it's sanitary. With a young child it's really important to know where your pools water is at.
I don't want to scare you off, testing is a pain at first but it gets easier quickly. AND you have the helpful videos to follow.
What is SLAM - - > SLAM

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.