Chlorine vs SWG

100s of posts on this topic ... Go ;)

SWG is a chlorine pool. It just adds the chlorine for you instead of you adding it daily.
pH may rise faster.
corrosion may be faster.

Go for it! It makes it extremely easy to manage the pool. Yes, ph does go up, but that easily managed by adding a quart or so of muriatic acid every week or two. I run the SWG on 20% and can almost ignore the pool after that. Test it every few days for chlorine, and every week or so for ph and other parameters. Rarely an issue. This summer has been easy! I will say, it really is a perfect set up to combine it with the variable speed pump. You can run the pump 24 hours on low RPMs and run the SWG on 20% and the pool (mine at least) stays perfect. No algae all summer.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Pit,

I went back and forth on this and I think it's a very close call for most of us. Unless you have high CH and water restrictions like certain California municipalities there's not much difference to me. I have a liquid bleach system and I still have to add acid. The cost difference is almost zero in the long run. I like the feel of a salt water pool so I may switch someday when I get around to it. I know lots of people that have switched and only only one of them switched back. I think his biggest problem was that he didn't take care of his chemistry.

I hope this helps.

Chris

Saltwater is the best way to go IMO.

I do want to stress one thing. Keep alkalinity low (mine is around 30-50 ppm) and you will never need acid most likely. If you have very high alkalinity water to the house, you may need acid to knock it down after you add water to the pool.

My first year of salt water (2011) I added acid about every 2 weeks. Once I understood the reason for the continual pH increase, I started the next season with low alkalinity and have not added acid even one time since the start of 2012 pool season. When we get a lot of rain, I actually may have to add some soda ash but am careful to add minimal amount. I try to keep my pH around 7.2 - 7.4. Even with the low alkalinity, pH maintains itself in my desired range 90% of the time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.