Chlorine vs SWG? PBs have us confused so far

notime2work

Silver Supporter
Jun 23, 2018
Tulsa OK
We are in the process of talking to some builders for our possible new backyard pool, and a couple of them have differing opinions on chlorine vs salt water. The builder we visited with this morning is not a salt water fan, but will install a system if we choose to go that route, and will include the cost as an option in his price. He believes the salt would possibly have an effect on NEW concrete decking. He has been building pools for 40 years, and is highly regarded and recommended in our area, so I believe he is sincere in what he is telling us. We also really liked this builder, as he was more concerned about drainage and functionality, rather than trying to upsell us on bells and whistles. I have not heard of this problem from any of the posts I've read here, so wondered if it could be possible. He did say, however, that conversion to a salt water pool in the future would be easy if we chose to do so. If any of you have thoughts about this, I would appreciate input.

nt2w,

I am sure he is sincere, but what does he base his opinions on? Have him show you visible proof.. We have seen no direct evidence of any actual damage that has proven to be from having a saltwater pool... A saltwater pool is a chlorine pool.. it is not like they are really different, a saltwater pool just generates its own chlorine.

You would think that if saltwater could quickly damage concrete that every concrete structure near the ocean would be falling apart, which is just not the case, and the ocean is about 10 x more salty than a saltwater pool..

I suggest you just tell the pool builder to install a salt system in your new pool. Just make sure it is rate for at least 2 x the volume of your pool. So, if your pool will be 20 K gallons, you need a system rated for a 40K pool.

I will never, ever, have another non-saltwater pool... :p

Thanks,

Jim R.

First, salt is chlorine. It is just that the chlorine is manufactured in the pool plumbing rather than you buying it at the store and hauling it to the pool.

So, my first question is - does this builder also have a store? have a recompensed store?

No, the salt water from a SWCG pool will not damage concrete, new or old.

Go with the SWCG.

Thank you for the information. The builder does not have a store, just a construction office, so he has no skin in the game as far as pool chemicals. I have never read anything about this level of salt water/chlorine damaging concrete, only some possibility of deterioration of limestone and other soft materials.

I actually really suck at maintaining pools, but my problems have more to do with water quality than structure. That is why I'm here. ;)

I do know a little something about concrete, and I have to say, if your new concrete decking is threatened by salt water then the concrete was done wrong. Usually they use some sort of xypex or bentonite (or something equivalent) in the mix when they know it will be around water to give it a little more durability. If some salt water is going to erode it, then you've got bigger problems.

Salt water is the way to go in my opinion. Everyone I know prefers swimming in salt to fresh. You do have to make sure all of your equipment (pumps, filters, pipes, unions, valves, fittings, etc) are rated for it. But that is just my opinion, so take it with a grain of salt. :cool:

I actually really suck at maintaining pools, but my problems have more to do with water quality than structure. That is why I'm here. ;)

I do know a little something about concrete, and I have to say, if your new concrete decking is threatened by salt water then the concrete was done wrong. Usually they use some sort of xypex or bentonite (or something equivalent) in the mix when they know it will be around water to give it a little more durability. If some salt water is going to erode it, then you've got bigger problems.

Salt water is the way to go in my opinion. Everyone I know prefers swimming in salt to fresh. You do have to make sure all of your equipment (pumps, filters, pipes, unions, valves, fittings, etc) are rated for it. But that is just my opinion, so take it with a grain of salt. :cool:

?? nothing has to be "rated" for saltwater. Not sure what you are saying. Saltwater pools have 2-3x the salt content of non saltwater pools which also have salt. Non salt has 1-2 parts salt and saltwater has 3-4 parts salt. The extra is negligible.

If he has been in the business 40 years my guess is he stopped learning 35 years ago. Go with salt.

You do have to make sure all of your equipment (pumps, filters, pipes, unions, valves, fittings, etc) are rated for it. But that is just my opinion, so take it with a grain of salt. :cool:
There really are not any industry "ratings" for equipment to be used in a salt water pool. I have some people advertise things like that, but I think its more for them ot be able to mark the price up a little more than anything else.

I should have gone salt last year but started with liquids chlorine. My PB wasn’t against it but I wanted some run time with the pool.

Anyway you could have him plumb it so it’s ready for salt and put on the electrical portion and go salt later it you want. This was my lesson learned. Jandy has an integrated power center I could have upgraded to and all I would have needed is the salt cell. I ended up purchasing parts on the internet and adding them to my power center.

Long story short if you want salt go for it and get a swcg that is rated twice the size of your pool and if you have automation is the same brand.

?? nothing has to be "rated" for saltwater. Not sure what you are saying. Saltwater pools have 2-3x the salt content of non saltwater pools which also have salt. Non salt has 1-2 parts salt and saltwater has 3-4 parts salt. The extra is negligible.

If he has been in the business 40 years my guess is he stopped learning 35 years ago. Go with salt.

Chlorine generator pools are fresh water pools.

Saltwater rated equipment is for vessels containing seawater or simulated seawater. A few years ago, we did salt water rated pumps at mystic aquarium, very expensive.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.