Chlorine vanashes

I feel dumb asking .... "3ppm FC", how many ounces would that be?

You need to learn how to use Pool Math. Take a look and ask any questions that you have. If you're going to manage your pool yourself, you HAVE to know how to use it. A link to it is in the upper left corner of this page.

I prefer the web based version.

Last edited:
For your 26000 gallon pool, .8 gallons would raise your free chlorine from 7ppm to 10.1ppm or 3.1ppm. The pool math app is super easy to use, I have the paid version on my phone and take me phone out with me when I check the pool each evening. Besides allowing you to track your levels, it also tracks the weather and you can create logs to keep a permanent record. You can also make your logs shareable so others here can see them. If you hold your cursor over my username, a window will pop up and at the bottom is a blue button named 'Pool Logs'. If you click on that button, you can see the logs for my pool. Very helpful for others to be able to help you. There is also a feature in the app called Effects of Adding. This I what I used to calculate how much chlorine you needed to add to raise your levels 3ppm. You will likely lose around 3ppm of chlorine every day due to the sun, sometimes a little more, sometimes a little less depending on the weather and how much use your pool sees. With a CYA level of 60 (always round up), your target free chlorine (FC) are 7-9ppm.

So, next is learning PoolMath. I'll start off using the link tillmas62 sent me. I'm not sure of what "goals" I should insert for each test. Also, since I'm using the HDX Chlorinating Liquid showing it has 10% Sodium Hypochlorite, do I need to change the Chart to "10 weight % bleach. Jug size 128 oz."?

I've been running my variable speed pump for several weeks at 3000 gph, 24/7. When can I change this and to what (number of hours and at what speeds)?

Thanks in advance!

You are correct on 10% weight and 128oz jug size. The app has drop downs on whether you want to use Gallons or ounces later on if it recommends you adding less than 128oz. I'd highly recommend going to the paint section of HD and picking up a few quart measuring/mixing cups for when you need to add less than a full jug and don't want to eyeball the amount being poured in.

I can't help you on the pump question.

Is your pump programmable? If so, I would program it to run a couple of short (2-3 hours) bursts at high speed everyday to skim the pool and leave it running at the lowest setting for the remainder. There's no need to run it full on all the time. IT isn't helping anything except depleting your bank account.

Have you gotten the test kit yet? Since you have a vinyl pool, calcium won't be a problem unless it gets very high. ASSUMING the pool store tests are "somewhat" accurate, you have soft water - a very good thing.

Your CYA target will be between 30 - 50. As you saw in pool school, the FC target will be based upon your CYA level.
Since your TA is low from soft water, use 50 as a minimum.
pH is good anywhere in the 7s. When it gets to 7.8 - 8, lower to 7.5 with MA (muriatic acid). With your fill water, your pool will probably have around 7.5 as a "natural" pH.
Your calcium is indicated at 30. If correct, bumping it to 150 would help if foaming becomes a problem.

Post your test results when you get your kit and we'll get you dialed in.

I've been using a 20 oz. measuring cup to add the liquid chlorine.
I've been running the pump 24/7 as directed by SLAM instructions.
Now that my water is clear and 'numbers are getting in check' I've programed the variable speed pump to run 2 hours at 3000gph, 10 hours at 1400 and 2 hours at 2000. These are the Pentair preset pump times and speeds starting at 8am.

There is a bit of dirt on the pool bottom. Should I vaccum to filter or to waste? (I'd hate to "waste" any more water after the 4 partial drain and refills but certainly want to do this correctly)

I've been using a 20 oz. measuring cup to add the liquid chlorine.
I've been running the pump 24/7 as directed by SLAM instructions.
Now that my water is clear and 'numbers are getting in check' I've programed the variable speed pump to run 2 hours at 3000gph, 10 hours at 1400 and 2 hours at 2000. These are the Pentair preset pump times and speeds starting at 8am.

There is a bit of dirt on the pool bottom. Should I vaccum to filter or to waste? (I'd hate to "waste" any more water after the 4 partial drain and refills but certainly want to do this correctly)

I would just vacuum it to filter.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Test results from my physical last week show that like the pool I have poor circulation!

The pool has been wonderful using it every day between rain showers. pH has stayed between 7.6 and 7.8. TA is 94. CYA is 59. The FC is like a yo-yo going up and down with reading 2.6 this morning so I think I need to add 180 oz. of liquid chlorine. (is my target FC 8 with CYA 59??) It would be nice if I could zero in on a daily amount to add. I think the 90+ degree weather and afternoon thunderstorms might be what's causing the variations.

Are you using your test kit? The CYA and TA values are not attainable with one of the recommended test kits.

You need to add chlorine every day. Once you test and add over a week or two, you should know the daily needs of the pool. Then you can test every other day or so.

FC/CYA Levels you had a typo there. Always round the CYA up to the next 10. 51-59 = 60. And so on. Its easiest to just fill the tube to each 10 mark and when you no longer see it, stop.

Although the pool temperature is still just 81 degrees it is crystal clear and is being used almost every day. Thank you all.

Target is 7. Thank you BadDogPSD. I had to go back to review all of the replies from this group and see that you had given me that target 7 earlier. I'm sorry for repeating questions.

mknauss, I do have the TF-100 kit but I'm slow in learning it's use but continue to watch the instructional videos. I thank you for responding but as I am still learning your reply left me with more questions than answers.

Newdude, good catch on the decimal point. 59, not 5.9 (and always round up is understood).

I am getting more comfortable using the on-line PoolMath page as suggested by tillman62.

Before joining this wonderful group I only checked for pH and chlorine.

Exactly what tests should I be performing daily with the TF-100 kit?

Reactions: tillmac62
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.