May 5, 2021
Minnesota
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi,
My pool chlorine was too high and is not going down. After keeping the pool cover open for a week now and adding chlorine lowering chemicals the chlorine is still reading 20ppm. This week has been cloudy and the water temperature is also very cold. Do you think that’s affecting the rate of chlorine evaporation? The CYA is 120.
TIA

I tested it at the pool store. They said the chlorine was way too high. Is the chlorine/CYA ratio safe for pool parts like the heater. The pool store said our heater part got destroyed because our chlorine levels were so high and we need to wait till the chlorine levels are better before replacing the new heater part.

Pool store testing, and advice, is rarely accurate.
Chlorine levels, if below SLAM level, has no effect on your heater. Low pH does. If you use trichlor tablets for chlorinating, your pH may be low, especially if you do not manage your pool water chemistry.
You need a proper test kit. I suggest the TF-100 A proper test kit is needed to get the accurate water chemistry results needed to follow the TFP protocols.

Pool store testing, and advice, is rarely accurate.
Chlorine levels, if below SLAM level, has no effect on your heater. Low pH does. If you use trichlor tablets for chlorinating, your pH may be low, especially if you do not manage your pool water chemistry.
You need a proper test kit. I suggest the TF-100 A proper test kit is needed to get the accurate water chemistry results needed to follow the TFP protocols.
Thank you. I just bought the pool testing kit and will try to learn to use it. I guess to lower the CYA I will have to drain some water.

oh darn, the K2005 isn't one of the test kits we endorse. To bring that one up to standards get the missing FAS-DPD test Marty mentioned above. Its about the most important part of the K-2006 test kit.
You might also like the Speed stirrer device as it really speeds up testing and seems to help make things consistent. www.tftestkits.net

When you get that K2005 kit check the expiration date- we've heard from some folks that they got older kits and the expiration was close. That's another reason we like the TF-100 kit as the company assures you of fresh reagents.

Maddie 🐞

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.