Chlorine too high

Jun 27, 2011
I live in Dallas. My pool is about 15,000 gals. 4 months ago I had it re-plastered. Until recently everything was going smoothly.

Now my chlorine levels are too high to read. I took a sample to Leslie's and they said they couldn't run any tests because of the high chlorine levels. They did say that the CYA was at 70. Nevertheless I've been diluting the water for an hour or two a night. I haven't added any chlorine for a week and a half. The chlorine readings are still way high. Thanks for any assistance.

Welcome to the forum!
This forum advocate’s pool owner water testing using a proper test kit. Order a TF-100. It is properly sized for the residential pool owner.

The only other real option for a test kit is a Taylor K-2006-C. Be careful comparing prices because the K-2006 comes in sizes, designated by a letter. The basic K-2006 has .75oz bottles. You need to get the K-2006-C to get the larger bottles that you want.

I also have the Speedstir. It makes testing much easier.

I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

Joe,

"High" means nothing to us... High compared to what? What is the actual FC number?

As a side note... Have you really been a member since 2011, or did our system make some type of mistake... :scratch:

How are you chlorinating your pool?

I would not stop by a Leslies to use their bathroom, but worst case you could take your pool water and mix it with 50% tap water and have them test it again..

Thanks,

Jim R.

You can always measure chlorine in a diluted solution and then calculate the correct FC. A cup of tap water (usually has < 0.1ppm FC) and a cup of pool water mixed well will give you a dilute solution. If the chlorine level is too high for measurement still, increase the distilled water amount.

You can always measure chlorine in a diluted solution and then calculate the correct FC. A cup of tap water (usually has < 0.1ppm FC) and a cup of pool water mixed well will give you a dilute solution. If the chlorine level is too high for measurement still, increase the distilled water amount.
That may seem like a good idea but it is not. TFP bases all it pool water management on pretty precise testing. Dilution simply increases the error factors by too much to make that work well.

Dave,

I think Norcalpool and I were just talking a diluted test as just some quick rough idea of what the OP's FC was, as "High" tells us nothing... I don't believe that we were suggesting it was going to give us any precise measurements.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Don't want to hi-jack here but the phrase that stood out to me was "correct FC"....it's subject to a significant error....especially diluted twice and especially if it's an OTO test.

Isn't it a linear scale when we measure FC and also when we add chlorine?
When we measure, we count the drops and multiply by 0.5.
For adding FC, poolmath shows FC increases linearly with the amount of chlorine added irrespective of the initial value.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.