Chlorine tablets

ecortiz

Jun 25, 2021
Austin, TX
We got a pool this year and I'm stuck 'maintaining' it. Went to Leslie's and was told to stabilize the water then add a floater with chlorine tablets. Being ignorant, I put 3 tablets in a floater to fill it and stuck it in the approximately 3500 gallon pool---apparently I should have only added one. Now our pool is reading high on total and free chlorine. I keep getting told to take out the floater, but I read that chlorine gas is not good to breathe and if I remove the floater and close the vents won't the gas build up? How do I safely remove this floater so I can give my pool several days to chill out on the chlorine?

Last edited:
Welcome! :wave: To answer your initial question, you can pull the floater and place it outside somewhere that pets or kids can't get to it. The tab will dry out quickly, then you can store with in the container with the others. As for the chlorine level, you need a good test kit to confirm that. Pool store testing (and advice) is often flawed. You should always test your own water.

Since your pool is just over 3K gallons, you have two options. You can treat it as a seasonal pool and use the link below, or manage it like any other pool with a proper test kit (TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C. Once you decide we can help you from there.

Welcome! :wave: To answer your initial question, you can pull the floater and place it outside somewhere that pets or kids can't get to it. The tab will dry out quickly, then you can store with in the container with the others. As for the chlorine level, you need a good test kit to confirm that. Pool store testing (and advice) is often flawed. You should always test your own water.

Since your pool is just over 3K gallons, you have two options. You can treat it as a seasonal pool and use the link below, or manage it like any other pool with a proper test kit (TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C. Once you decide we can help you from there.

Thank you! Again, sorry if this sounds dumb, but when I remove the floater, do I need the bottom vents open or closed and I'm assuming I don't open the top---I tried that when checking on the tablets and now my throat burns.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.