Chlorine Tablets vs. Liquid Bleach

May 8, 2018
Midland, MI
Just overall thoughts and recommendations on Tablets vs. Bleach. The problem with Bleach is that I have no idea how often to use it, or when. We've got a 36,000gal pool in Michigan and this will be my 3rd season taking care it. I've just read in a lot of different places varying thoughts between putting tabs in one of the Chlorine cylinders for distribution, and just dumping bleach.

All help is appreciated!

The problem with Bleach is that I have no idea how often to use it, or when.
Welcome to TFP! :wave: Like pets, pools need to be fed almost everyday. Chlorine is chlorine, but some forms of chlorine have side-effects. "Regular" bleach does not. Tabs/pucks, can increase stabilizer too fast and cause a problem. But please start at our ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and make sure to see our FC/CYA Levels to understand how CYA (stabilizer) and FC (free chlorine) should be balanced together. Don't forget to update your signature, and it's nice to have you with us.

Welcome to the forum!
You determine how much of any chemical to add through pool owner water chemistry testing.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Pool School eBook.

Just overall thoughts and recommendations on Tablets vs. Bleach. The problem with Bleach is that I have no idea how often to use it, or when. We've got a 36,000gal pool in Michigan and this will be my 3rd season taking care it. I've just read in a lot of different places varying thoughts between putting tabs in one of the Chlorine cylinders for distribution, and just dumping bleach.

All help is appreciated!
Welcome!
Can you add your pool & equipment details to your signature?

Another answer is long-term costs: when used correctly, the liquid chlorine (aka bleach) is more reasonable/affordable, in part due to not having to constantly "shock" a green pool, or draining & replacing water when stabilizer/CYA gets too high.

Reactions: jmgallo23
Hi jmgallo23

The only way to determine if something needs to be added, is to test it with a reliable test kit. Pool store testing is not a reliable method and neither are test strips. (And their advice is even worse than their testing). That's why you will see either the TF100 or the Taylor K2006C recommended all over this forum. Get one here....

Once you test the water, you can compare your test results to the TFP recommendations and see if you have too little of something or too much.

And then use the pool math calculator to determine how much of something needs to be added, and then just add however much pool math tells you to add.

Trouble Free Pool Care really could not be more simple than that.

Reactions: jmgallo23
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.