Chlorine tablets aren't dissolving

Ldecicco

Dec 5, 2020
Sacramento
Somewhat new pool owner here and I've noticed my chlorine tablets aren't dissolving. I haven't had to put any new pucks in there for over a month, maybe 2.

This is what I've done so far to troubleshoot:
-Made sure the dial is at max flow (5)
-Took off lid and started pump to make sure water flows into cylinder
-unscrewed hose to make sure its leaving cylinder

Any ideas?

Last edited:
chlorine tablet rate of breakdown is dependent on many factors, flow and temperature being the primary ones. Rate of dissolution isn't the factor you should be watching, but the amount of chlorine being placed in the pool. You need a good test kit, see Test Kits Compared to determine that. We don't recommend tablets as along term solution. For more information read ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

What is your CYA? either post a full set of readings or use the pool math app so we can see. If you are using test strips or pool store readings, those aren't reliable.

I know that you are looking for troubleshooting advice, and I'm sorry that I can't add to what you've already checked.
But...
Keep in mind that using up the pucks faster is going to raise your CYA faster and you are already on the higher end. Yes, pucks increase FC, but over time they also increase the required FC levels to keep your pool sanitary due to the binding effect of CYA. See the FC/CYA chart in Pool School for the relationship between the two.
The only way to get the CYA back down is new water. There is a reason that TFP recommends liquid chlorine instead.

Reactions: YippeeSkippy

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I know that you are looking for troubleshooting advice, and I'm sorry that I can't add to what you've already checked.
But...
Keep in mind that using up the pucks faster is going to raise your CYA faster and you are already on the higher end. Yes, pucks increase FC, but over time they also increase the required FC levels to keep your pool sanitary due to the binding effect of CYA. See the FC/CYA chart in Pool School for the relationship between the two.
The only way to get the CYA back down is new water. There is a reason that TFP recommends liquid chlorine instead.
Do you have a liquid chlorinator as well or just pour manually?

I actually converted to salt water, which you will see is very popular in the TFP forums. Higher upfront cost, but little to no costs for chlorine make up for it. Would describe it as cost neutral, since eventually you need to replace cell in a few years.
Still have to test regularly, but greatly simplified pool care and don't have to do partial drains to lower CYA back down anymore (used pucks prior to finding TFP).

Liquid chlorinators are also quite popular since they can keep the levels more consistent than once daily pours. Upfront cost is less than with salt water, but you are still buying liquid chlorine to fill it. You can also use second stenner pump for muriatic acid automation in the same fashion.

Manual pour is going to be the cheapest route normally. I just have trouble remembering sometimes (2 very small children at home), so the SWG remembers for me.

I know my Cya is at 55 as of last week
Not with strips you don’t. They are bad enough for FC, PH and TA, but the CYA part is utterly insane. It’ll show 10 when it’s 200 and vice versa. Test strip are cheap. Throw the bottle out and use kit instead. A few bags of unneeded shock will save you whatever you lost by throwing out half a bottle of strips
:)
Yes, I have a test kit and my chlorine levels are always low which leads me to shocking the pool once a week
Tabs or no tabs you need to test daily to verify they are working and add liquid chlorine as needed. Without frequent (and reliable) test results, it’s a crud shoot if you are where you need to be. Which becomes a yo-yo and you’ll need to over correct with shock. Any of us converts have never had to shock.

You’ve been here for quite some time but not enough to get a good grip on everything. Your previous methods are a recipe for disaster. It’s totally ok and we see it daily. Sometimes hourly. You didn’t know any better and aren’t at fault. Start over from scratch, ask away and we will happily guide you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.