mkmscr

Mar 1, 2013
Charlotte, USA
Pool Size
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
A service tech has been servicing my pool for the last few weeks since it’s a new pool. They want to own the chems for the first 30 days while it cures. I know my way around pools thanks to TFP the last few years. I measured my free chlorine last night and it was up around 8ppm. So, I told the pool company to watch how much chlorine they’re dumping in, especially before the weekend because it’s making it uncomfortable to swim. So, they sent a tech out today and added Chlorine neutralizer. Which is annoying because it would have lowered in a day or two if I killed the chlorinator but whatever.

My question is, how much will 8 ounces of this chlorine neutralizer reduce FC in a 15k gallon Gunite pool? I’ll get my trusty Taylor kit out tomorrow morning when I’m home but I’m hoping this doesn’t wipe out my chlorine entirely. Thoughts?

Most likely it was sodium thiosulfate.

In your pool volume, 8 oz should drop it about 4 ppm. It would have dropped that much on its own in a day or two.

Is there no CYA in the water? 8 ppm FC is not high at all.

Most likely it was sodium thiosulfate.

In your pool volume, 8 oz should drop it about 4 ppm. It would have dropped that much on its own in a day or two.

Is there no CYA in the water? 8 ppm FC is not high at all.
There’s 60ppm of CYA but it worked itself out. You were right, it was at about 5.5 when I got home.

I'd be more suspicious of the pH making you uncomfortable rather than 8ppm of FC. A new pool's pH notoriously goes up frequently as the plaster is curing and pH problems certainly can be irritating.

Maddie :flower:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.