Chlorine on SALE

Shawntae

Aug 1, 2020
Tyler, Texas
Hello
So I am super new to this and SUPER new here, as in today. I am about to attempt my first SLAM. Just went to Leslie’s and if you have one in your area they currently have liquid chlorine buy 1 case of 4 gallons get a case free. This makes it 21.99 for 8 gallons.

Reactions: Jay15
Welcome to TFP.

What % chlorine?

What date code?

Wow, seems like a great price. I just called our local Leslie's and they said no sale. $21.99 for four gallons @ 10%. He said they have no sale that he can find, but I am in Arizona so it might be a regional thing.

I have been getting HDX 12.5% from Home Depot for $3.50/gallon with my Veteran 10% discount. Best price I can find around here and they always have it in stock.

Reactions: Wobblerlorri
Fry's in the east valley (AZ) has been keeping theirs on sale at $5.99 (2gal pack) 10% for the past month. Just picked up some more today.

Do you guys keep yours in the garage? As long as it is out of the light, it can take the heat for a few weeks?

Yeah, we used to use Fry's but they are still limiting us to 2 gallons and our Fry's does not have the 2 pack. For the same concentration level (in FC, 10% required vs 12.5%) the HDX is $2.00 more overall, and they don't care how many I buy :)

This is the first time we have had to SLAM in 5 years, so we do not keep it on hand. We run an SWG so no chlorine needed. Because (as you know all too well) it is so hot, while I am slamming the bleach stays in the air conditioned house by the back door :)

Reactions: bobhere
I had 9 gal of 10% Pool Essentials chlorine left over after we closed the pool last year. It sat in our garage (uncooled, unheated) from mid-October 2019 until we opened in May 2020. Back calculating on PoolMath showed it was 6%. I've been using it all season and it's been stable at 6 - 6.5%.

Yeah, we used to use Fry's but they are still limiting us to 2 gallons and our Fry's does not have the 2 pack. For the same concentration level (in FC, 10% required vs 12.5%) the HDX is $2.00 more overall, and they don't care how many I buy :)

This is the first time we have had to SLAM in 5 years, so we do not keep it on hand. We run an SWG so no chlorine needed. Because (as you know all too well) it is so hot, while I am slamming the bleach stays in the air conditioned house by the back door :)
I bought 5 boxes (10gals) today and they did not say a word, been doing so all year. I wish they sold the higher percent acid so I could save a Home Depot trip!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hello. Sorry if it's only regional. I assumed that their sales were the same everywhere. It was for the Blue Whale 12.5%. Well if there is anyone near my area perhaps they can benefit from the sale. They let me purchase 2 cases (8 gallons) and get two free without mentioning a limit. If I am in the process of a SLAM and the green discoloration cleared up within 24 hours leaving mostly cloudiness does that mean I need to just keep going? I am only about 30 hrs in.

Fry's in the east valley (AZ) has been keeping theirs on sale at $5.99 (2gal pack) 10% for the past month. Just picked up some more today.

Do you guys keep yours in the garage? As long as it is out of the light, it can take the heat for a few weeks?
Thank you for mentioning this. I just checked and Fry's near me has the 10% kemtek on sale for 5.99. Fry's is the cheapest I've found in the east valley, tied with ace hardware when they are on sale. If neither Fry's or ace is on sale A&M seems to be the cheapest, and it's the good stuff at 12.5%

A&M - $16.99($0.265/oz) for 4 gal of 12.5%
Walmart - $3.64($0.284/oz) for 1 gal of 10%
Ace hardware (on-sale) - $2.99($0.234/oz) for 1 gal of 10%
Fry's (on-sale) - $5.99($0.234/oz) for 1 gal of 10%

Reactions: DanF
Hello. Sorry if it's only regional. I assumed that their sales were the same everywhere. It was for the Blue Whale 12.5%. Well if there is anyone near my area perhaps they can benefit from the sale. They let me purchase 2 cases (8 gallons) and get two free without mentioning a limit. If I am in the process of a SLAM and the green discoloration cleared up within 24 hours leaving mostly cloudiness does that mean I need to just keep going? I am only about 30 hrs in.
No worries, the guy that I deal with all the time said they had no sale like that so I am sure it was a regional thing. I use them when I have too but here in Phoenix unless there is a big sale going on, Home Depot is usually my best bet. Even using Leslie's "bulk", refillable 12.5% containers, they are still more expensive than Home Depot / HDX.

I have been getting HDX 12.5% from Home Depot for $3.50/gallon with my Veteran 10% discount. Best price I can find around here and they always have it in stock.
Our Home Depot had the two-pack of 10% chlorine for years at $6.86, but on my last trip they had marked it up to $8.95. I can get a case of 4 gallons of HASA 12.5% for $14.40 at my local pool store, so Home Depot priced themselves out of the market for me.

Thank you for mentioning this. I just checked and Fry's near me has the 10% kemtek on sale for 5.99. Fry's is the cheapest I've found in the east valley, tied with ace hardware when they are on sale. If neither Fry's or ace is on sale A&M seems to be the cheapest, and it's the good stuff at 12.5%

A&M - $16.99($0.265/oz) for 4 gal of 12.5%
Walmart - $3.64($0.284/oz) for 1 gal of 10%
Ace hardware (on-sale) - $2.99($0.234/oz) for 1 gal of 10%
Fry's (on-sale) - $5.99($0.234/oz) for 1 gal of 10%

So I ordered some KemTek Chlorinating Liquid from Fry's today, They didn't have it in store when I went in so I had to order it can pick it up. Pretty sure the date code is 2017 O_O so at this point I imagine it's almost worthless. I'm going to return it and keep getting mine at A&M.

Attachments

• kemtek_old.jpg
    kemtek_old.jpg
    363.3 KB · Views: 7
So I ordered some KemTek Chlorinating Liquid from Fry's today, They didn't have it in store when I went in so I had to order it can pick it up. Pretty sure the date code is 2017 O_O so at this point I imagine it's almost worthless. I'm going to return it and keep getting mine at A&M.

I'm pretty sure that date code is for 2020 day 178, which is end of June. Not the freshest, but not terribly old either.

Reactions: Cwiggs

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.