Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
This off topic side conversation has been split off of this topic. JasonLion

Just keep in mind that what's safe for you may be hard on bathing suits depending on the material they're made of. In other words, if your going to swim at close to SLAM levels, wear an old suit. ;) (or no suit :eek: )

Re: Safe to swim FC chart?

Actually, it may be about time to put that (old suit) idea to rest. Over the years, I doubt we have seen but maybe one or two reports of swimsuit fade.

Now, if there is no CYA in your pool, the FC is quite a bit more aggressive so pay attention to the chart but if you are in the safe range, it truly is safe.

Re: Safe to swim FC chart?

Actually, it may be about time to put that (old suit) idea to rest. Over the years, I doubt we have seen but maybe one or two reports of swimsuit fade.

Now, if there is no CYA in your pool, the FC is quite a bit more aggressive so pay attention to the chart but if you are in the safe range, it truly is safe.

Interesting. It was my understanding that the issue had to do with CL attacking the stretchy (spandex?) material used in many bathing suits.

That is correct as far as it goes. The thing is it very much depends on the active chlorine level, which depends on both the FC and CYA levels. Because of the way CYA works, with CYA above zero it is nearly impossible to get FC high enough to be a problem for swim suits. While if CYA is zero then it is quite easy to get FC high enough to be a problem.

That is correct as far as it goes. The thing is it very much depends on the active chlorine level, which depends on both the FC and CYA levels. Because of the way CYA works, it is nearly impossible to get FC high enough to be a problem for swim suits. While if CYA is zero then it is quite easy to get FC high enough to be a problem.

Thanks for the clarification. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.