Chlorine made pool water turn brown

If you mean when should you add the sequestrant, the best approach is to try to filter the water clear of tint, getting all the brown oxidized metal out if you can, and def after a SLAM Process if you determine you need one.

BUT, if you cannot get all the tint out, yet the water is CLEAR eg can see a heads or tails on a coin on the bottom, and you pass an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test meaning you don't have organics/don't need to slam/ or are finished a Slam, then add the sequestrant, preferably a type that says it is HEDP -- Jacks Magic or Metal Magic.

The sequestrant will keep the metal in solution to prevent the tint and the stain, and will need to be replenished periodically to keep the remaining metal in solution.

The reason you don't want to sequester right now is because while you might b able to clear the water if you used enough, you'd have a terrible time keeping it in solution...,its better to try to reduce the load of the metal that's oxidized now for future easier management.

Th high FC of slamming also will mean you have to add it all over again, because high FC breaks down sequestrant.

I think I'm getting somewhere here is Tuesday Wednesday comparison. I vacuumed from 5:30-8:30 changing out my hand towels every 20-30m. When I went to bed I put an old onesie over the hand towels, I think it caught more iron!

Tuesday 8/2:

Wednesday 8/3:

We added an entire bottle (2x the directed amt) of Clorox flocculant yesterday at 9pm. Let it recirculate for 2hr then turned the pump off.This morning the iron was on the bottom of the pool:
Thursday 8/4/16

After a quick vacuum to waste of it:

Going to let it resettle and vac to waste again after work.

Also have the filter housing set up with the incoming well water to refill what is vacuumed out and then the sump pump to recirculate. My husband could only find 5micron so I'll have to see if I can order a 1m. Also have a 1 and .5micron biodiesel filter bag. Putting the 1 on the return after vac is done and the .5 on the end of the water filter. Also I ordered some DE for the filter. What a headache! But at least I can see the bottom of the pool! (Better than a light at the end of a tunnel!!)

Coming along nicely! Floc for iron can be hit or miss but I'm glad it worked for you. You may find you want to do another settle and vac in a bit because if you used a lot it may reform into slimy little pockets. But the slimebag may also catch it!

In the interim, the 5 micron will help some, I've just found with the 1 micron I get down to about .1 ppm.

Speaking of which, once you're in the clear, have your taylor kit, done an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to know your clear on organics etc. you might want to grab a Lamotte instatest iron test kit (cheaper strips but it'll give you an idea) so you get a sense of how much iron comes out of the filter.

Coming along nicely! Floc for iron can be hit or miss but I'm glad it worked for you. You may find you want to do another settle and vac in a bit because if you used a lot it may reform into slimy little pockets. But the slimebag may also catch it!

In the interim, the 5 micron will help some, I've just found with the 1 micron I get down to about .1 ppm.

Speaking of which, once you're in the clear, have your taylor kit, done an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to know your clear on organics etc. you might want to grab a Lamotte instatest iron test kit (cheaper strips but it'll give you an idea) so you get a sense of how much iron comes out of the filter.

I'm glad it worked too! I vacuumed four times, even again this morning. it's just getting better and better. I also ordered some of the 1micron. And the bags are catching a lot! My test kit should be here tomorrow or Monday. I think I'm going to get a sequestrant to at least hide whatever may be left if need.

I'll look into the iron test strips. :)
Thank you for your help!

Traecing, I noticed your post in the other thread. When you have a sec just to help us help others with metal, do you mind posting a) the link to which filter bags are working well and b) what your test evils were at when you applied the floc, what brand, how long etc. Since most TFP guides don't use flc (never have to but other problems when used instead of god water management) there's not a lot of data to share and historically, reports are mixed.

That's why I think it might be valuable to start collecting info on cases where it has been successfully used for iron removal/management specifically.

I too have well water. I too use some product (i think it was called metal out, not sure as we filled pool last year) I read on here how it keeps it in solution and have remained silent.
However, my results are the same as your pictures, It coagulates together allowing for it to be filtered out easier. I only used my sand filter, vacuumed what I could till it got cloudy and just let it filter. I believe that when you backwash your filter next time, you are gonna get some real nasty water out. If so, could you please post pics of the discharge for others to see.
Yes adding top off water from well does reintroduce iron, but the 1/2 to 1 inch fill, you do not see and the filter seems to take care of it. (My last house we also installed a pool, had well water and had similar results and in the 6 years there only had to use the metal out at initial fill.
)

Traecing, I noticed your post in the other thread. When you have a sec just to help us help others with metal, do you mind posting
a) the link to which filter bags are working well
Biodiesel Filter Bags Link: http://www.dudadiesel.com/search.php?query=%2Bfilter+%2Bbag&i=filterbags&gclid=CJGulvXdr84CFZGGaQodFvwDjg
I bought 2 of these, one for filtering the incoming water from the hose/house filter. And one to put inside the 32" for the return water($6.50) The welded feature is best so nothing filters out through needle holes:
Polyester PTFE Coated Filter Bag, 0.5 Micron
• Size#1, with hanging strap
• 16" Length, 7" Diameter
• PTFE Coated to 0.5 Micron Rating

I placed the .5 micron bag inside the 1 micron filter bag to the return valve during vacs and regular filtration as it still is catching some off the top($11.99):
Welded PTFE Coated Filter Bag
• 0.5 Micron, with Plastic Collar Flange
• Size#2, 32" Length, 7" Diameter
• Welded filter bags maintain the efficiency of the filter media

During the vacs we experimented with putting the incoming hose (I couldn't get the bags to attach to the incoming eye ball feature, so we just used bungee cords to hold the incoming line to the top of the pool, and to hold the outside bags with the strap feature) I placed a sock around the incoming hose, placed that inside an old intex filter medium we had from last years pool, which too was covered with a tube sock. Then placed this inside the .5 micron bag which was placed inside the 1 micron bag. When you lift the bags out they are heavy but you need to do it fast and lose the 2 gallons of water in them because depending on how heavy they are (like overnight) there could be a cloud of red escaping :) When the outside bag was looking pretty red/dirty I changed them out.

To clean them I had some left over Baquacil filter cleaner the neighbor gave me. I had three 1 quart bottles. So I mixed about 1/3 of the bottle with a couple gallons of water in a 5gal bucket. (Sorry, I wasn't really specific with this process). The cleaner states it cleans metals from the filter so I thought I'd give it a try. When I say my red towels and filter bags came out looking brand new, I mean they were the "brand new brightest white." And this happened within 20-30 minutes. That stuff is amazing. After they turned back to white I then rinsed them off and let them sit in another 5gal bucket with fresh water for about 10m and hung to dry until they were ready to be used. I also was adding some Sparkle up to the filter and backwashing when needed. I have DE coming tomorrow for a filter aid as well as a TF100 kit for better testing

and b) what your test evils were at when you applied the floc, what brand, how long etc. Since most TFP guides don't use flc (never have to but other problems when used instead of god water management) there's not a lot of data to share and historically, reports are mixed
My test kit was the HTH kit, minimal but it's all I had during this process. My FC was higher than 5 the entire time. A really bright yellow, and my testing method couldn't go higher than 5. My pH was 6.8 before adding the Clorox Pool & Spa Sink to Clear Flocculant. TA was anywhere from 150-100. And CYA was 30 but now below 20. I think from all the vac to waste and backwashing I lost a lot of that.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Clorox-Pool-and-Spa-Sink-to-Clear-Flocculant-32-oz/41465556?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&adid=22222222227000000000&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=42423897272&wl4=pla-51320962143&wl5=9019166&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=41465556&wl13=&veh=sem
I got mine at Fleet Farm for $10. For our pool we used the entire bottle (about 2x the dose suggested, but I read if you have CH you should double Flocculants for this), poured around the outer walls and put the pump/filter on circulate for 2hrs and then turned it off and kept the filter off for the next few days (except for 2hrs a day when I added the chlorine, to allow the floc to keep settling). The next day everything was on the floor and for the most part the pool was clear, maybe slightly greenish tint to it. My FC reading was still above 5 and I've kept it there adding about 1/2c bleach every day. 4 days later we are still vacuuming up the floc but it's so miniscule now. Just tiny little scatterings.

We still have just the well water, for refills it goes through the homemade house filter and then into the .5 micron bag before it hits the pool. We were losing about 6" a day during the vac to waste so we decided to put the bags on the waste hose line and back into the pool, just a shot in the dark to see if it worked because our water pressure really was dropping with constant fills. Well it worked! We were able to not lose any water and filter through the biodiesel bags! Today we are adding the sequestrant. I got the 1qt Iron Myte Mineral Fighter brand from menards ($8)
https://www.menards.com/main/health-wellness/pools-spas-saunas/pools-accessories/mineral-myte-mineral-fighter-1-quart/p-1444445659773.htm

That's why I think it might be valuable to start collecting info on cases where it has been successfully used for iron removal/management specifically.

I will add photos later today of everything.

I too have well water. I too use some product (i think it was called metal out, not sure as we filled pool last year) I read on here how it keeps it in solution and have remained silent.
However, my results are the same as your pictures, It coagulates together allowing for it to be filtered out easier. I only used my sand filter, vacuumed what I could till it got cloudy and just let it filter. I believe that when you backwash your filter next time, you are gonna get some real nasty water out. If so, could you please post pics of the discharge for others to see.
Yes adding top off water from well does reintroduce iron, but the 1/2 to 1 inch fill, you do not see and the filter seems to take care of it. (My last house we also installed a pool, had well water and had similar results and in the 6 years there only had to use the metal out at initial fill.
)

Everytime I backwash I get nasty stuff out LOL. I've been backwashing about every other day:

Iron Myte is a success!!! You can't beat $8 a quart!
Test bucket before with chlorinated well water (1gal with high chlorine levels):

After adding 4 capfuls (About 1/2oz??) of Iron Myte

So pool water tested with at home Menards water test after treatement (Out of the well is 0.7):

Pool return with sock over return hose (took off the pvc into the pool because I couldn't get anything to stay on the return eye ball) placed inside an intex pool filter cartridge also covered with a sock:

Biodiesel filter bag:

Return and sock filters placed inside biodiesel filter bag 1micron:

After vacuum (30mins):

I already threw aways the Clorox Sink and Clear Flocculant, but here is the Iron Myte, House filter cartridges, & Baquacil filter cleaner used to return my iron colored towels and filter bags back to their bright white color:

Home Filter setup with sump pump, home filter is currently 5micron, wrapped the filter with Viva papertowels:

This was just changed, I'll post a pic after the viva towels pick up more random stuff.

So here is the pool yesterday before adding the Iron Myte:

And today after adding Iron Myte... approx 6hrs::

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That's super! Be aware that the citric acid (Iron Myte=100% citric acid) puts the metals in solution. Keep up with the paper towels/towels, and at the first sign of any return of the metals, use a sequestrate.

- - - Updated - - -

You may need a weekly dose to maintain.

That's super! Be aware that the citric acid (Iron Myte=100% citric acid) puts the metals in solution. Keep up with the paper towels/towels, and at the first sign of any return of the metals, use a sequestrate.

- - - Updated - - -

You may need a weekly dose to maintain.

We still have the biodiesel filter bags on the return line and home Dupont filter running with 1 micron this time. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.