Chlorine loss

Chaya

Bronze Supporter
Jul 28, 2019
Lakewood, New Jersey
hi,
i have a 21k gallon pool, 60 cya and prone to mustard algae. so based on chart i try to keep my chlorine at about 10ppm.

my pool was beautiful and crystal clear until one day i noticed tremendous chlorine loss - over the day i had to put in 18pmm of chlorine so it didnt drop below my minimum of 10. then i noticed the water was a bit cloudy. didnt see any algae. i figured i had algae and began to shock to 35ppm - the yellow mustard shock levels.

yesterday i tested every two hours and i was loosing about 7-10 ppm in the pool. i then brought the chlorine level back up to 35ppm.

my question is that i was advised previously that at higher PPM, chlorine loss is greater. so i am wondering what WOULD be my chlorine loss per hour if i did NOT have algae? i am curious how much of the loss was just the sunshine and heat at that very high level of chlorine.

also, in any discussion i've posted here, people have told me that my chlorine loss should be 2-4 ppm per day but its more like 6 for me. i'm wondering again if its b/c at higher chlorine levels, you use more chlorine. my pool is in FULL sun the whole day.

Thanks for your help!

Check pool School, but I think you only raise FC to mustard levels after slamming at normal levels.
How long since checked cya? Maybe changed?
High FC loss usually due to algae, high swim load with sunscreen etc or dosing FC higher than cya will protect.

Reactions: Mike1162
Check pool School, but I think you only raise FC to mustard levels after slamming at normal levels.
How long since checked cya? Maybe changed?
High FC loss usually due to algae, high swim load with sunscreen etc or dosing FC higher than cya will protect.
oh no! so i think i did it wrong. but it shouldnt make a difference, right? if anything my chlorine was too high, it should still kill the algae.

but does anyone know the answer to the normal loss of chlorine rate and 35ppm?

I would first confirm the CYA level. Higher than expected FC loss is typically due to CYA levels being lower than assumed.

Going above SLAM level FC can have an effect on your liner. So be careful doing it for long periods.

i will when i get home but realize my chlorine use was consistently 6pmm and then one day was 18ppm and after that i see that the water WAS cloudy. if i didnt know the correct cya, i should have constant very high usage, not that the usage tripled from one day to the next.

regarding effect on liner, can you tell me what the damage would look like? the last time i replaced my liner (2 yrs ago?) they told me there were pinhole leaks on the bottom of the liner. would high chlorine cause that?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.