Chlorine loss problem

Unfortunately going backwards from previous days. Changes from previous days
Progress isn't always forward, or even linear. Sometimes its two steps forward and one step back. Losses mean you are killing algae, which is normal and a good thing. It also means there is more to kill.

When you've maintained the SLAM FC, brushed and cleaned every nook and cranny and the losses stop, you've won.

Stay the course. You got this.

Matt has a good point there with water loss. Do you have an autofill that would hide a leak? How are your other water parameters behaving, any changes over time in salt and CH levels?

It would be interesting to know what that 30cm dome thing is. I think most of us suspect its a light.

With regards to Bio-Klenz, even though it might not be a TFP recommended product, I credit it with clearing up my mysterious chlorine loss or at least had something to do with it.
While you're still getting a loss, you're winning as the nasties are getting killed off.
I assume you're also backwashing the filter?

Just keep going.

Matt has a good point there with water loss. Do you have an autofill that would hide a leak? How are your other water parameters behaving, any changes over time in salt and CH levels?
No auto fill. I top it up manually about once a week about 8cm.

FC at 11ppm at 8pm. Unfortunately going backwards from previous days. Changes from previous days
1. More scrubbing
2. Cover off for 12 hours vs 7 or less previous
3. Topped up water level. This would have diluted levels slightly. But I also use an old garden hose to top up water levels. It is solely used for this so is only used once a week and is otherwise lying in the sun. Wondering if this may be a source of issues?

Tested CYA levels and still at 40ppm.

I will post a picture tomorrow. But water is crystal clear as it has been for the whole slam.
FC at 13.5ppm at 6.30am.

All things considered, I'd pull that cover off if you can to inspect. Might be a treasure behind there.
I will give it a crack. I would assume that anything in the pool can be taken off with water in the pool…?

Thanks to all helping out with the advice. Much appreciated!!!!

I would assume that anything in the pool can be taken off with water in the pool…?
Generally yes. Some items are more challenging than others, but you should be able to remover just about anything in your pool from a light, drain cover, return jet nozzle, etc. I know you don't have some of those, they are just examples.

The standard (large) pool light is typically held in place with a retaining ring attached by one screw. In this case, you have what appears to be a cover and I see a screw there as well. Hopefully removing that screw will allow you to carefully pull the cover off to inspect what's behind it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Generally yes. Some items are more challenging than others, but you should be able to remover just about anything in your pool from a light, drain cover, return jet nozzle, etc. I know you don't have some of those, they are just examples.

The standard (large) pool light is typically held in place with a retaining ring attached by one screw. In this case, you have what appears to be a cover and I see a screw there as well. Hopefully removing that screw will allow you to carefully pull the cover off to inspect what's behind it.
A few photos of the pool. I also noticed that there is some Crud along the edges of my pool cover (see photo). Could this be a potential source? Not sure how to get rid of this as it is embedded in the cushions of the cover. 19674B03-ECE0-4F4C-AD85-41444B162B14.jpeg01548BE2-0D4D-4450-A32B-8CEA27BC9CDE.jpeg40ED542F-0348-46CA-B8A1-9F1CAFE026A4.jpeg01548BE2-0D4D-4450-A32B-8CEA27BC9CDE.jpeg

Could this be a potential source
Any crud is bad crud. Good catch. :goodjob: Covers can harbor algae underneath for sure. I'm not sure how to address it either. You may want to contact the manufacture if possible. For now though, leave the cover off or retracted so that it can't expose any of that stuff into the water.

What does a new cover cost?

You are not likely to be able to get the cover 100% clean.

Any crud is bad crud. Good catch. :goodjob: Covers can harbor algae underneath for sure. I'm not sure how to address it either. You may want to contact the manufacture if possible. For now though, leave the cover off or retracted so that it can't expose any of that stuff into the water.
I might be able to trim off the edges to remove the bits with crud on it.

If that is sitting right below the skimmer then it is most likely an equalizer port. It’s attached to the skimmer plumbing and it’s purpose is to give the skimmer line something else to pull on in the event that the skimmer inlet opening gets completely blocked. Basically an anti-entrapment port. You can take that cover off and look but I don’t think you’ll find much.

FC at 13ppm 6.30pm.

Today:
1. Trimmed edges of the pool cover where black crud was located. Cover off for most of the day.
2. Removed what I think was a light cover and cleaned behind, but nothing of note in there. Was only loosely fitted so water circulating through there.
3. Long back wash with a top of water after.
4. Lots of scrubbing

Also had a few people swimming. Loss of 3ppm seems okay with all that. See how the overnight loss goes.

FC at 13ppm 6.30pm.

Today:
1. Trimmed edges of the pool cover where black crud was located. Cover off for most of the day.
2. Removed what I think was a light cover and cleaned behind, but nothing of note in there. Was only loosely fitted so water circulating through there.
3. Long back wash with a top of water after.
4. Lots of scrubbing

Also had a few people swimming. Loss of 3ppm seems okay with all that. See how the overnight loss goes.
FC at 13 or 13.5ppm at 6am (last drop was a double). Cover back on over night to stop heat loss. So could be cover causing the drop even though I have trimmed dirty sections.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.