Chlorine levels will not maintain!

tracyd

Aug 11, 2013
North Kingstown, RI
Im having a difficult time maintaining chlorine levels. I uncovered the pool 12 days ago to a moderate green mess as per usual- lots of trees in the yard although pool is in sun all day. My CYA level was/is 40. PH 7.2 , alkalinity was WNL- cant recall exactly- per my Taylor k-2006 test kit. I began the SLAM process as per the Cl/CYA chart the level should have been at least 16, I brought mine up to 24-25 just to be on the safe side. I was using both liquid Chlorine (12.5%/gal and gran cal/hypo 65%) As the pool began to clear I got the leaves out of the water within a few days. I do realize the leaves should come out first but the pool is 9 ft deep and its just impossible since I cant see the bottom. I continued the SLAM process as my Chlorine levels were not holding and the pool was not clear. The pool is crystal clear now but my chlorine levels will not maintain overnight. Last night my level was 22 after dark and 14 at sunrise. I typically lose 3ppm in 24 hr period without swimmers. These are my readings right now.

CYA 40
FC 8.5
CC 0
Ph 7.6

I also checked for Ammonia thinking maybe it is high. I believe it is 0 but my husband said he detected a tiny bit of color change from yellow to green so worst case scenario 0.25.
My question is this, why wont the FC level maintain? The CC is 0. I have gone through ALOT of liquid Chlorine- appx 30 gal and at least 25 lbs of gran Cl.

Re: Chlorine levels will not maintain!

Im having a difficult time maintaining chlorine levels. I uncovered the pool 12 days ago to a moderate green mess as per usual- lots of trees in the yard although pool is in sun all day. My CYA level was/is 40. PH 7.2 , alkalinity was WNL- cant recall exactly- per my Taylor k-2006 test kit. I began the SLAM process as per the Cl/CYA chart the level should have been at least 16, I brought mine up to 24-25 just to be on the safe side. I was using both liquid Chlorine (12.5%/gal and gran cal/hypo 65%) As the pool began to clear I got the leaves out of the water within a few days. I do realize the leaves should come out first but the pool is 9 ft deep and its just impossible since I cant see the bottom. I continued the SLAM process as my Chlorine levels were not holding and the pool was not clear. The pool is crystal clear now but my chlorine levels will not maintain overnight. Last night my level was 22 after dark and 14 at sunrise. I typically lose 3ppm in 24 hr period without swimmers. These are my readings right now.

CYA 40
FC 8.5
CC 0
Ph 7.6

I also checked for Ammonia thinking maybe it is high. I believe it is 0 but my husband said he detected a tiny bit of color change from yellow to green so worst case scenario 0.25.
My question is this, why wont the FC level maintain? The CC is 0. I have gone through ALOT of liquid Chlorine- appx 30 gal and at least 25 lbs of gran Cl.

I'll repeat what I have heard here a lot. Check behind any lights, ladders, hiding places.

- - - Updated - - -

Cleaned the filter after getting it cleared up?

- - - Updated - - -

Oops. Was looking at my signature and the cartridge filter. :rolleyes:You have DE. I'm sure you've backwashed.

The good news is it has cleared up, you are probably really close to passing OCLT. It would be a good idea to test your CYA again in a day or two, they granular cal-hypo adds CYA to your pool so it may be higher than you think.

Hello everyone. Im going crazy trying to figure out where my chlorine is going, sun burn off vs consumption. Iv been slamming my pool over the last few days and last night at 11 pm my FC was 21.5 ppm. I got up before the sun came up at 0445 and my reading was 20.5 ppm. NO CC. The water is crystal clear. I tested the level at 12 noon and its 12 and CC 1, huh? These are my readings with Taylor 2006 test kit. BTW, it was overcast until 11 am!

FC 12
CC 1
CYA 40-50, Im using 50 for Slam
PH 7.6
TA 100

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.