Aug 11, 2022
Murrieta,CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Good evening,

First time pool owner here. Finished our pool in December and the start up company “balanced” my pool levels and gave me a horrible pool school lesson. I have been managing my pool levels ever since. Over winter and the first half of spring I never had any real issues, though I didn’t know what I was doing.

I finally found this website and realized that I have not been keeping up with anything that I needed to do. I bought the TFP test kit and finally got a good reading of my levels. My first reading was: FC 1, PH 8.2, TA 155, CH 750, and CYA OF 300. I looked at my chemicals and saw the conditioner the start up company left with me. It’s an 8lb container with 2lb left. They added 6lbs to my 5,000 gallon pool, So that’s why my cya was so high. I drained most of the water from my pool, refilled, and have been balancing according to the TFP pool school for about 3 weeks now.

My current levels are: FC fluctuating, PH 7.6, TA 80, CH 700 (I have really hard water apparently), and CYA 100 (going to drain half the pool next month to drop it to 50).

However I have noticed that my FC drops extremely rapidly. With that level of CYA I’d expect it to last a while. I can dump an entire gallon of chlorine in my pool, bring the FC to 20, then 24 hours later it will be at like 3, and at 48 hours it will be at 0.

Now I don’t know if it is the ozone system depleting my chlorine, (I was sold because they told me I would barely have to use chlorine), or the sun, or algae. I have noticed these yellow spots popping up in the corner of my pool. They are very tough to scrub, which makes me think that it is staining (my dogs like to kick dirt into my pool). But it could be algae? My water is very clear but I’ve never dealt with these problems.

I am just tired of dumping gallons of chlorine into my pool every week. So any help is appreciated. Thank you!

Attachments

• 89973F16-DB54-4512-8F3B-13854F6AEA2A.jpeg
    89973F16-DB54-4512-8F3B-13854F6AEA2A.jpeg
    273.3 KB · Views: 15
  • 94C87284-CBE4-4498-8FA6-9675742FCB3E.jpeg
    94C87284-CBE4-4498-8FA6-9675742FCB3E.jpeg
    259.5 KB · Views: 15
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    393.6 KB · Views: 15
Welcome to TFP.

Use your test kit to test your fill water and report the pH, TA and CH of your fill water.

You may need to figure out how to fill your pool with softened water. @mknauss can tell you about the portable RV water softener he uses.

You need to disconnect your ozone system.

And after you drain your pool down at least another 50% to get your CYA between 30-50 you need to follow the SLAM Process to eradicate the algae in your pool.

The ozone system + algae is consuming your chlorine.

Welcome to TFP.
I noticed that you did not test for CC after you tested FC. That would indicate if you have bacterial matter in the pool in addition to seeing the yellow spots.
Clearly you should drain 50% of your water to get CYA down prior to doing a SLAM. Your FC is depleting because of bacteria/algae. The CYA only protects FC from the sun burning it off.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.