Chlorine Levels for SWG w/Automatic Cover

Schmath

May 9, 2020
Salt Lake City, Utah
Is there a chlorine/CYA chart for a SWG pool with an automatic cover? I just raised my CYA to 40 thinking it was too low for a SWG pool, but then I read that the CYA in a covered pool should be lower since the pool is out of the sun for most of the day. I'm so glad I caught that before I went any higher! I'm just going to leave it at 40 for the season, as my CYA somehow seems to go down on it's own over the winter and I don't want to waste water in this drought, but I'm just wondering what my chlorine levels should be. I've been referring to the Liquid Chlorine Chart, since the Salt Water Generator Chart doesn't show lower than 60, but since the chlorine levels are so much lower on the SWG chart, should my levels should be lower too? Basically, I don't want to over chlorinate my kids. I'm also wondering what level of chlorine is too high to swim?

Also, when we opened the pool for the season, the chlorine level was already high and the water was clear, so I didn't SLAM or shock or anything. I just vacuumed and balanced the levels and we started swimming. Is that okay?

My current levels are:
Chlorine 5
CC .5
PH 7.5
CYA 40
TA 90
CH 350-400

The chlorine usually drops .5-1 ppm when we swim, but it's always back up the next day. The lowest it has dropped to is 4ppm.

Let's start with any FC level up to SLAM FC level is safe to swim in. SLAM FC level is the same for Liquid Chlorine or SWG.

With CYA 40 it is safe to swim up to a FC of 16.

7.5% of CYA level is a good target for a SWG pool. For CYA 40 that is about 4. Your 5 is just fine.

Go swim.

Reactions: Schmath
Let's start with any FC level up to SLAM FC level is safe to swim in. SLAM FC level is the same for Liquid Chlorine or SWG.

With CYA 40 it is safe to swim up to a FC of 16.

7.5% of CYA level is a good target for a SWG pool. For CYA 40 that is about 4. Your 5 is just fine.

Go swim.
I’m confuse by that formula:
“7.5% of CYA level is a good target for a SWG pool. For CYA 40 that is about 4.”
Am I missing something?

I’m confuse by that formula:
“7.5% of CYA level is a good target for a SWG pool. For CYA 40 that is about 4.”
Am I missing something?

What number would you like it to be?

3 is cutting it a bit close if you leave the cover open for too long.

4 feels ok to me.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.