Chlorine levels dropping quickly after Shock

Mjlarocco

May 22, 2021
Sellersburg Indiana
I opened my pool up two days ago. There was a tear that formed in the cover over the winter and when I took off the diver it was pretty grimey at the bottom. Brown fluffy looking stuff at the bottom and a bunch of worms. We put a bird feeder in the backyard this year and the birds used the cover water as a bath.

I vacuumed the pool to waste and shocked the pool with three bags of shock. The next morning (Day 2) when I tested the Chlorine it was clear ... not even a hint of yellow. Went to the pool store and the chlorine was .5 (I’ve got a Taylor k-2006 coming so I won’t have to go there again) Shocked it again tested the chlorine the this morning(day 3) not a hint of yellow.

I shocked it again with ththis morning and threw a few chlorine pucks I had sitting around in the skimmer.

Tested the water tonight and I’d have about 3-4 ppm chlorine. That’s better than no chlorine at all but less than I thought I’d have after shocking it 12 hours earlier. The TA is around 90 , PH is around 7.3, CYA is around 55.

Water is crystal clear ... any idea what’s going on and what I do to fix it?

Clear water is a good first step, but your chlorine loss is a sign you still have algae or something else in the water the chlorine is fighting. You need to maintain the shock level and hold it until you don’t lose more than 1.0ppm FC overnight and your CC is 0.5 or less. This will be much easier to do once your test kit arrives.
Good luck!

First off welcome mjlarocco. To get the best help here at TFP please fill out your signature with relevant pool information, It helps us to help you. See my signature for an example.

Have you downloaded the poolmath app? It will be your go to for adding chemicals. Until your test kit gets here add 5ppm of LIQUID chlorine per day, that will help your pool to not get any worse. You can use pool math " effects of adding," to determine how much to add.

When you have your kit, run a full panel of tests and post the results like this:
FC
CC
Ph
TA
CH
CYA

Once you do, the helpful pool enthusiasts here will get you straight. You have landed at the best pool site on the web. Anymore questions, just ask.

Last edited:
Sounds like a good plan Kelly. The chlorine level hasn’t dropped much at all in the past 24 hours so I may be past the worst of it. I’ve got the pool math app and will be putting it to good use this summer.

I’ve got an adjustable return jet coming in the mail this week so I can use it to help aerate the pool and raise the PH after I lower the TA. Didn’t even know that was a thing until I use the pool math app!

I saw another post about deep cleaning the filter, so I did that as well. Haven’t cleaned it since we got the pool in 2019. Got a lot of gunk out! 😃

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.