Chlorine Level Still High from Pool Close

Apr 28, 2018
Indiana
I have a Pool Company close the pool in the fall.
Today I opened it up - smooth sailing.
Tested water - and chlorine is still through the roof from when the pool company closed.

Is that normal?

Other readings are as follows:
FCL-High maxed kit out
TCL - High maxed kit out
pH 7.7
Alk 62
CH 260

Thanks for any feedback!

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Perhaps not normal, but not necessarily a bad thing. Ideally you want there to still be FC in the water.

Well, what does "high" mean? Sounds like you need to get a better FAS-DPD chlorine test kit ;)

Also, there is no way to know what FC is "too high" without knowing the stabilizer (CYA) level. They are related according to the [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]

Well, we do not recommend that colorQ ... and what you are seeing is one of the major reasons. It does not read the FC high enough.
Also, results tend to be sporadic and impossible to know when it is "lying" to you.

These are the only Recommended Test Kits

Damage is dependant on what the actual FC level is and what the actual CYA level is.

Hey! Sorry about that! I'll send it out tomorrow. You can still test your chlorine with R-0871 and R-0870-you won't be able to test for combined chloramines-which you should be ok for a couple days. I'm very sorry about that! I'll PM you to verify your info!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.