Chlorine injection location

Gruenegenes

Oct 16, 2020
TX
I’m installing my Stenner pump this week and realized my pool builder installed the puck chlorinator to serve only when in Pool mode, not Spa mode. In other words, the chlorinator is downstream of the valve that splits return flows between the pool and the spa, on the pool side. Seems wrong to me since no disinfection is happening when people are in the spa. Am I missing something or is this wrong? I plan to tap the liquid chlorine injection point downstream of the heater and all equipment, but upstream of the splitter valve. Thoughts?

Attachments

• F14CF025-026F-4874-B319-D1001663CF54.jpeg
    F14CF025-026F-4874-B319-D1001663CF54.jpeg
    634.2 KB · Views: 24
I’m installing my Stenner pump this week and realized my pool builder installed the puck chlorinator to serve only when in Pool mode, not Spa mode. In other words, the chlorinator is downstream of the valve that splits return flows between the pool and the spa, on the pool side. Seems wrong to me since no disinfection is happening when people are in the spa. Am I missing something or is this wrong? I plan to tap the liquid chlorine injection point downstream of the heater and all equipment, but upstream of the splitter valve. Thoughts?
We are attaching the Basic Service Manual which may help later on.

Attachments

• Stenner Basic Service Manual.pdf
    2.8 MB · Views: 7
The chlorine in the water is what does the sanitizing. It is not like UV/Ozone or any of the other sanitizers that only sanitize as water passes through the device.

Unless you plan to run in spa only mode for days at a time, I would think the chlorine in your water would be sufficient.

We are attaching the Basic Service Manual which may help later on.
Since Stenner Tech Support is on this forum, I want to share my appreciation for the folks at Stenner. Their catalog and website had all the detail needed to design a system. It was easy to understand and easy to follow. The folks on the phone were always kind and helpful. I also want to thank Cannon Water Technology, www.CannonWater.com, for their help ordering the system. The guy I talked to - I wish I got his name - was super knowledgeable and has been working with Stenner for decades. You can't go wrong with Stenner and Cannon if you're wanting to install this type of system.

The chlorine in the water is what does the sanitizing. It is not like UV/Ozone or any of the other sanitizers that only sanitize as water passes through the device.

Unless you plan to run in spa only mode for days at a time, I would think the chlorine in your water would be sufficient.

The chlorine requirements in the spa depend on bather load. water temperature, and elapsed spa usage. If you are a heavy user then some supplementary chlorine may be helpful to keep it sanitary.

The issue I see with the Setnner is you want a different dose of chlorine in the small spa water volume then in a pool. With a SWG automation can reduce the % when in spa mode.

Last edited:
Since Stenner Tech Support is on this forum, I want to share my appreciation for the folks at Stenner. Their catalog and website had all the detail needed to design a system. It was easy to understand and easy to follow. The folks on the phone were always kind and helpful. I also want to thank Cannon Water Technology, www.CannonWater.com, for their help ordering the system. The guy I talked to - I wish I got his name - was super knowledgeable and has been working with Stenner for decades. You can't go wrong with Stenner and Cannon if you're wanting to install this type of system.
Thank you for the kind words.

Reactions: Gruenegenes
Since your inline chlorinator is down stream of the spa/pool valve, you must have an overflow from your spa to your pool when in Pool Mode. I think I can see the SPA line noted on your pipes when flow is in Pool Mode. This is what chlorinates your spa. So for normal use, that should be sufficient. if you think it will have heavy use on a certain day or so, you could always add a cup of LC to the spa directly in SPA mode (may want to verify the addition via a FC test and Pool Math).

Also, I read one person on this forum tapped into his inline chlorinator (at the 1/2" line on side of the Tee body) to install his injection point and he removed the puck tower and replaced it with a cap (I think 1 1/2" thread - need to verify). That seemed to work for his set up and avoided tapping into existing pipe or redoing the plumbing for a new Tee fixture.

Post a picture of your final set up after you have it all in place. Many of us using LC are always looking at alternatives such as the Stenner pump.

Since your inline chlorinator is down stream of the spa/pool valve, you must have an overflow from your spa to your pool when in Pool Mode. I think I can see the SPA line noted on your pipes when flow is in Pool Mode. This is what chlorinates your spa. So for normal use, that should be sufficient. if you think it will have heavy use on a certain day or so, you could always add a cup of LC to the spa directly in SPA mode (may want to verify the addition via a FC test and Pool Math).

Also, I read one person on this forum tapped into his inline chlorinator (at the 1/2" line on side of the Tee body) to install his injection point and he removed the puck tower and replaced it with a cap (I think 1 1/2" thread - need to verify). That seemed to work for his set up and avoided tapping into existing pipe or redoing the plumbing for a new Tee fixture.

Post a picture of your final set up after you have it all in place. Many of us using LC are always looking at alternatives such as the Stenner pump.
Here are two pics. I installed it last night. I selected the Stenner EconT with a 15 gal tank. I picked the pump with the highest pressure and flow rate rating to give me the most flexibility in dosing.

The small section of blue pool noodle in the pic is the injection point. I read on one of the posts to protect it from the sun.

Programming and installation were super easy. I only had one issue which was my fault. It was my first time to tap threads and I read in a post to not tap all the way to ensure a tight fit to prevent leaks. Well apparently I didn’t tap far enough because I ruined the first half of the threads on the injector trying to screw it in. Fortunately there were still enough good threads on the injector given the wall thickness of the pipe so I ran the tap all the way into the pipe. Well, then it was a bit too loose. I wrapped the heck out of it with Teflon tape and that seems to have fixed the leak.

I am so happy to have this system in place. My pool construction was complete 9 months ago and I never could get the puck chlorinator to work consistently. Half the time I would check, it would be dry. My residual dropped to zero several times and I developed mustard algae I fought all summer. By the time I found this site, my CYA was at 80. Now that this pump is in place, I’m going to drain half the pool, refill and SLAM.

I appreciate you guys

Attachments

• FC9CDC6B-4156-44C8-A3AB-11DDC4BC8E18.jpeg
    FC9CDC6B-4156-44C8-A3AB-11DDC4BC8E18.jpeg
    495.4 KB · Views: 29
  • 5268CAC9-B6A5-4FFC-BEE6-6EAECF5E7BC4.jpeg
    5268CAC9-B6A5-4FFC-BEE6-6EAECF5E7BC4.jpeg
    490.6 KB · Views: 29
Here are two pics. I installed it last night. I selected the Stenner EconT with a 15 gal tank. I picked the pump with the highest pressure and flow rate rating to give me the most flexibility in dosing.

The small section of blue pool noodle in the pic is the injection point. I read on one of the posts to protect it from the sun.

Programming and installation were super easy. I only had one issue which was my fault. It was my first time to tap threads and I read in a post to not tap all the way to ensure a tight fit to prevent leaks. Well apparently I didn’t tap far enough because I ruined the first half of the threads on the injector trying to screw it in. Fortunately there were still enough good threads on the injector given the wall thickness of the pipe so I ran the tap all the way into the pipe. Well, then it was a bit too loose. I wrapped the heck out of it with Teflon tape and that seems to have fixed the leak.

I am so happy to have this system in place. My pool construction was complete 9 months ago and I never could get the puck chlorinator to work consistently. Half the time I would check, it would be dry. My residual dropped to zero several times and I developed mustard algae I fought all summer. By the time I found this site, my CYA was at 80. Now that this pump is in place, I’m going to drain half the pool, refill and SLAM.

I appreciate you guys
That is a very nice install. Let us know if we can be of any assistance.

That is a very nice install. Let us know if we can be of any assistance.
Thank you! Should I provide protection from the elements for the pump? It’s mostly shaded during the day and completely shaded from about 1pm on. It has no protection from the rain or cold. I’m in south TX so it doesn’t freeze but a few days a year, but still....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thank you! Should I provide protection from the elements for the pump? It’s mostly shaded during the day and completely shaded from about 1pm on. It has no protection from the rain or cold. I’m in south TX so it doesn’t freeze but a few days a year, but still....
The ECON-T is rated for indoor and outdoor use. Remember to change the pump tube at least once/year. We hope this helps.

We are glad you have found our information helpful. Please, if you can, consider making a donation to TFP.
We are staffed by volunteers and are registered as an IRS 501 (c) (3) charity and donations are what keeps the forum operating without advertisements.

Support TFP!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.