Chlorine in spa

moreira85

Nov 8, 2015
Boston, MA
I noticed when I add chlorine to my hot tub 400gal the chlorine drops pretty fast and doesn’t hold. Do the same rules apply to a spa as a pool regarding SLAM? And should the hot tub hold chlorine for the day?
ph 7.5
TA 80
CYA 30
Calcium 180
FC 0. I added 1.5oz of chlorine this morning.

Ozone will deplete chlorine, that's why I like it. It allows me to shock heavily after use to destroy contaminants and not have to soak in a chemical bath the next day. I typically have less than 1ppm when I use it, even after raising it over 5ppm the day before.
It is always a good idea to purge with Ahh-Some on any new spa. They often sit in storage and shipping with water in the pipes from testing at the factory and can grow all kinds of nasties inside the pipes that chlorine can't get rid of.

Reactions: moreira85
I'll bet you have a CD (corona discharge) ozonator on a 24/7 circulation system.. And no cc at all. Makes life easy. I won't own a spa without one for my personal use, and I have owned many, as I have been refurbishing used tubs for 2 decades.
I just hope you are using liquid (bleach) and not dichlor granules or your cya will be off the chart in no time.

Wow this spa is really not going well. I’ve had it about 10 days. All levels look good but won’t hold any chlorine. I added a bromine dispenser as well. I added 8 ounces of chlorine and FC was 12 ppm at 1pm today. I just checked it 4 hours later at 5 ppm and virtually all FC gone. I added the chlorine because when I uncovered the spa water this morning it was very cloudy.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.