Chlorine high!!!

Aug 27, 2010
Aurora,IL
We opened our pool last Saturday. It was a green algae mess. In the last six days I have added so much chlorine because my test kept saying that I still had combined chlorine. My chlorine level is greater than 50 but yet it still says I have combined chlorine. What am I doing wrong? I took a sample of water to the pool store just to see what they came up with and they said my chlorine was off the charts and they couldn’t read it. I know that I have no CYA my pool, even though I have added shack and some talks too I took a sample of water to the pool store just to see what they came up with and they said my chlorine was off the charts and they couldn’t read it. I know that I have no CYA my pool, even though I have added shock in some parks too. We had issues with a high CYA in the past and I don’t want it to go to high again. How can my chlorine be so high and still have CC?

Step back from the pool and take a deep breath. CC's in and of themselves mean nothing.

You need to follow the SLAM Process process to the letter until it is complete. Don't just dump huge amounts of chlorine into the water unless you want a totally bleached pool liner.

I know that my chlorine has been high enough for a couple days according to the cya/chlorine chart. But it is still cloudy. Could it be because my chlorine is too high?
If you had a green algae mess, and you still have high CC then you need to SLAM Process

You seem to be trying to find something to point your finger at. You have it, algae. SLAM Process the pool and it will clear up.

Hi, dbabz31. Welcome to the forum! We can help you get your pool beautiful and clear, just need to follow some steps. First, do you have a test kit? Having your own means that you know your numbers are accurate and you are no longer at the mercy of the pool store! I recommend the one in my signature. It is available at tftestkits.net and has enough test reagents to get your pool clear and then help you maintain.

Let us know if you’d like to take this first step, and we will be here to advise you along the way!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.