Chlorine high, water getting greener

You shouldn't do an OCLT until the water is crystal clear. I wouldn't bother doing an OCLT for now so that you can save on your reagents as you might run out of them before your finish your SLAM.

you do realize it was 20 extra drops for 1 additional FC reading? The pic of the pool is taken kind of in dark conditions and FC loss was surprisingly low. I don't know about you but something is off- the pool with such color should've lost almost all FC overnight.Since the SLAM already started we'll see how it progresses- in case of algae it should show up on the next FC test anyway.

Don't adjust PH for now as a 7.5 isn't far enough from the recommended 7.2 to make a huge difference.

this doesn't really matter but since OP already took good pH / TA readings and adjustment is minor I thought we could use that. The fact pH can't be accurately measured during SLAM doesn't change anything in this regard- that amount of MA can be added at any point.

My pool looked like that or worse a week or so ago. I scrubbed the walls down. Let it settle over night. Vacuumed in the morning to get all the dead algae off the bottom. Slammed it up to 24 and ran filter 24/7. Water was blue the following AM. Kept the CL at 24 the rest of the day and performed a over night test the following night. Pool is clear and blue now. My problem started off with my CYA going off the chart. Drained pool down 80%, added fresh water and that got me to 50ppm. Pool turned green a few days later so that's when I slammed it. Get your CL up high and hold it there. Algae is reproducing faster than you can kill it at 7ppm right now.

My pool looked like that or worse a week or so ago. I scrubbed the walls down. Let it settle over night. Vacuumed in the morning to get all the dead algae off the bottom. Slammed it up to 24 and ran filter 24/7. Water was blue the following AM. Kept the CL at 24 the rest of the day and performed a over night test the following night. Pool is clear and blue now. My problem started off with my CYA going off the chart. Drained pool down 80%, added fresh water and that got me to 50ppm. Pool turned green a few days later so that's when I slammed it. Get your CL up high and hold it there. Algae is reproducing faster than you can kill it at 7ppm right now.

I believe after 3 gal of bleach went in they're around 21 atm.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
the water is looking noticeably better this morning - still has a green tinge to it, still cloudy at the deep end, but seems to be headed towards clear/blue.

This morning's test shows FC 20ppm and CYA 70ppm. According to the pool math chart, I need to replace 43% of this water with new to drop the CYA. Thinking to leave it as is this morning, don't add any bleach today as it's at SLAM goal and retest this evening. Anyone have any comments on that approach>

THANK YOU!!;)

Attachments

• 20160819_074433_resized.jpg
    20160819_074433_resized.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 66
  • 20160818_183338_resized.jpg
    20160818_183338_resized.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 66
Ok, I'm a little confused. Your last CYA test was 50 and now you say it is 70.

The only way for it to go up is the additional of stabilizer via solid forms of chlorine (powders and pucks) or adding more stabilizer (liquid or powdered).

The CYA test is a light sensitive turbidity test that needs to be done in full sunlight with your back to the sun, vial held at waist level. The SLAM and the appropriate FC level depends on the accuracy of this test.

Did you add stabilizer or was one or both CYA tests not done appropriately?

BTW, you have a cute dog :)

Last edited:
Ok, I'm a little confused. Your last CYA test was 50 and now you say it is 70.

The only way for it to go up is the additional of stabilizer via solid forms of chlorine (powders and pucks) or adding more stabilizer (liquid or powdered).

The CYA test is a light sensitive turbidity test that needs to be done in full sunlight with your back to the sun, vial held at waist level. The SLAM and the appropriate FC level depends on the accuracy of this test.

Did you add stabilizer or was one or both CYA tests not done appropriately?

BTW, you have a cute dog :)

I have not added anything other than the daily bleach. I didn't realize the importance of direct sunlight, back to sun, etc for the CYA test though so I for sure did that wrong :/ we'll need to disregard that number.

Thats Riley...I think he's cute too ;)

- - - Updated - - -

SLAM level for CYA at 70 is 28, not 20. You need to get some more chlorine in that pool.

Oh gosh? Ok, I've added 3 more gallons of bleach. Thanks!

Which number should be disregarded? The 50 or 70 CYA result?

Why did you add 3 gallons of bleach? You should be using the pool math calculator http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html to determine how much bleach to add to get back to your SLAM level Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart. Adding too much bleach will a) waste bleach and $, b) can damage your equipment, and not necessarily speed up the process.

Which number should be disregarded? The 50 or 70 CYA result?

Why did you add 3 gallons of bleach? You should be using the pool math calculator http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html to determine how much bleach to add to get back to your SLAM level Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart. Adding too much bleach will a) waste bleach and $, b) can damage your equipment, and not necessarily speed up the process.

The 70 CYA should be disregarded as I failed to do it in direct sunlight, etc.

I added the bleach per a previous comment that SLAM should be at 28 not 20....not realizing that my CYA was done incorrectly.

Oh boy, hopefully I didn't screw up too bad. I will be able to test FC in a few more hours. Thanks all for sticking with me! Clearly I need help :/!

Use pool math to determine the amount of bleach to add. Make sure to select the right strength. I get 1.9 jugs of 8.25% bleach to go from 20 to 28, not the 3 jugs you added.

The FC will come down from 28 to the target of 20 eventually, so don't stress about it. The learning curve is a little steep, but once you get the hang of it, everything will be easy.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.