Chlorine Generation

Awesome - thanks Dave.

There is definitely a lot to learn and much of it makes sense when understood. It highlights how unreliable the pool shops are beyond simple FC and pH tests...

Thanks again guys!
Jon

And even if your PH is border line low I wouldn't do anything because the SWG and the kids splashing will bring it up. Eventually you'll have to lower it.

Thank you Dan,

That raises another question - again sorry I feel terrible for keep asking but you guys have helped so much!!!

Right now my SWG is off because with it on, the chlorine wasn't dropping at all. The weather is crappy right now so we're not getting a lot of sun. As an example, this morning my chlorine was 17.5ppm and now its 16.5ppm so I figured I probably don't need my SWG making more chlorine right now?

My pump is on but the power chord to the cell is unplugged. I'm also aerating the pool too through a small fountain.

Is this OK?

Again, thanks guys!

OK - thought I would come back and update the thread just for completeness...

I left my pH alone and the SWG cell unplugged until the chlorine came back down to 5ppm. This happened just today so took a good few days but in fairness, they were cloudy days. When I tested my chlorine this morning it was reading 5ppm so I put plugged my SWG cell in again and set my machine on 70%.

I took another reading just after lunch and the chlorine level had gone up to 6ppm so I reduced my machine to 60% - I'll do another test shortly. Needless to say I'm 100% confident my machine is working perfectly.

pH is on the money, sat currently at 7.5 - I'll do a full workup of tests this week.

For anyone new reading this thread, here is my (non-expert) advice:

1. Get one of the test kits recommended in pool school. I was skeptical about this advice but went ahead and got it and it was invaluable. You cannot shock properly without one and your problem will take longer to go away if it goes away at all.

2. Shocking (properly) takes longer than you think (than newbies think anyway) but just as your about to question whether you're doing it right, poof, your problem is resolved. Patience is key here, its going to take a few days but after your problem will be resolved...

3. If you didn't act on step one, **really** get yourself one of the recommended test kits...

4. Don't try to do too much at once. You'll be tempted to test and fix everything with your new found kit and skills, don't, again, patience here, sort your problem out first, let whatever you did to fix your problem become normal again and then move on to your next challenge.

5. If you didn't act on step one, **really really** get yourself one of the recommended test kits...

6. Last, don't second guess the people here even if their advice REALLY contradicts the pool shop, trust me they know more about pools than the 21 year old that was just hired last week at the pool shop...

Hope my thread helps someone else...
Cheers,
Jon

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.