LifeTime Supporter
Aug 1, 2011
Houston, TX
Pool Size
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Our pool is small (8500 G). We have always used our SWG, but heavy rains dilute the salt concentration as the overflow drains to our ditches. This makes it very difficult to sustain an adequate salt level, resulting in algae growth. This is worse when we are gone for a week and there is heavy rain.

We do have a Pentair 320 chlorinator, but have never used it. I am considering turning it on when we are gone, to provide some base level of chlorine. But, it’s plumbed in line with the SWG, with no check valve in between (there is a check valve between them and the heater). My question is: would backflow from the Pentair 320 chlorinator affect the Pentair SWG, if I load a chlorine tab and turn it on? (Picture attached)

Attachments

• 0246F26F-4AC4-435A-AAB0-701750DB1E1F.jpeg
    0246F26F-4AC4-435A-AAB0-701750DB1E1F.jpeg
    647.9 KB · Views: 17
My question is: would backflow from the Pentair 320 chlorinator affect the Pentair SWG, if I load a chlorine tab and turn it on?
If tablets are in the chlorinator, the pump needs to be run 24 hours per day. If not, the acidic stew created by the tablets can damage the SWCG.

Your picture shows the valve OFF towards the chlorinator. No water is going by the chlorinator.

If tablets are in the chlorinator, the pump needs to be run 24 hours per day. If not, the acidic stew created by the tablets can damage the SWCG.

Your picture shows the valve OFF towards the chlorinator. No water is going by the chlorinator.
Right - I have not loaded it or turned it w I was concerned about impacting the SWG.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.