Chlorine Drop Test Question

NormaG

Bronze Supporter
Dec 31, 2020
Houston
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
We have a brand new pool, first filled on 12/4/2020. I just received my TF-100 test kit and used it for the first time yesterday. On the Chlorine Drop Test, after adding the scoop of R-0870, the solution did not turn pink. (Not surprising because someone from the pool company turned our automatic chlorine down from where we had it.) Anyway, Step 3 says to add R-0871 one drop at a time until the solution turns back to completely clear. Is it OK if the solution is white (opaque)? I added a lot of drops and the solution never turned clear. What did I do wrong? Should I have stopped after Step 2 since it showed no chlorine? Thank you

Thanks, Maddie. We don't have a SWG. We have an inline chlorinator and we increased the amount of chlorine being dispensed. Seems to be going in the right direction now. We also added some liquid chlorine. So everything is good for now.

Is it OK if the solution is white (opaque)? I added a lot of drops and the solution never turned clear.
I suggest the proper word to use would be "colorless". Many use clear and colorless interchangeably but the solution is somewhat opaque as you suggested after adding the R-0871 drops. However you need it to be pink first after adding the powder R-0870 so you have no chlorine to start as indicated by others.

If you continue to use the inline chlorinator (chlorine pucks) this will add CYA to your pool as well as some acid. So watch both your pH and your CYA levels if this is a continuous use. Read the info that Marty provided on pool chemistry levels
As a reference point - Each 8 ounce trichlor tablet (1 puck fully dissolved) will add 5.5 FC, add 3.3 CYA and drop PH by 0.29 in a 10,000 gal pool. So 3 pucks will be approximately 3x these values. You can use "effects of adding" in Pool Math to see the potential issues of continuous use of pucks.

Since you live in Houston, do you have water softener? Your CH is pretty high (via pool math) so you may not. If you do, you may want to test your fill water and your tap water to compare.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.