Chlorine Drop Test Never Gets Totally Clear Anymore

mmcwhorter

Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Jul 13, 2015
Huntingtown, MD
Earlier today, I measured my CL and pH with the Taylor kit (DPD-OTO) that comes with the TF_100 and it looked like about CL 4-5/pH 7.5. I decided to check it with the powdered R-0870 / R-0871 method. Normally, when you get to the correct measured level of FC, the sample goes perfectly clear...Completely clear, like water. What I noticed today was around and beyond 4.5 ppm (meaning 9 drops), the sample never got completely clear and stayed ever so slightly pinkish/purple....much clearer than at the start of the test but NEVER WENT TOTALLY CLEAR. I tested it twice with the same results. I read other threads about it being cloudy....this is not the case...still has some color. In any case I have two measurements that indicate around 4-5....so I feel good about that.

Does this indicate my R-0870 or R-0871 is now expired?

Last edited:
My water sample is never clear. The R-0870 powder is mostly a phosphate buffer that partially reacts with CH to form a cloudy white precipitate. So when the titration is done for me, it’s cloudy off white color, but never clear. If your water has low CH or mineral hardness, it will be mostly clear.

Are you measuring any CCs when you are adding the R-0003?

Have you added any metal based algaecides to the pool or do you have issues with iron in your water?

Today there was no change when adding the five drops to test for CCs, and that has been the case all season long (I usually SLAM on Day 1 opening and never see any CCs)....Negative on the algaecides....never!!!!! Also, I do think I have an ongoing Iron Stain problem...as I posted a thread in the Deep End about Irn Staining this morning also. (I have been playing with Vitamin C to verify Iron).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.