Chlorine Drop Test/ Help

Also I just did the cya again and it came the same, 20, and both times I could still see just a little bit the dot.
That's good. So continue with the plan to add that 40 ppm worth of stabilizer.

As for the CH, it's low and we don't want that low CH to allow the plaster surface to get damaged (etched). You show a CH of 175 and I would like it to reach the minimum for now of 250. So you'll need to increase the CH a little. That equals 9 lbs of calcium. See below:

Calcium hardness can be raised with calcium chloride or calcium chloride dihydrate. They are available in some areas as Peladow, Dowflake, Tetra Flake, or Tetra 94, often sold as a deicer by hardware stores, and some big box stores, in colder climates. Pool stores will carry either calcium chloride or calcium chloride dihydrate under a variety of names, including Hardness Plus, Balance Pak 300, Calcium Hardness Increaser, etc. Calcium products should be spread across the surface of the deep end of the pool.

That's good. So continue with the plan to add that 40 ppm worth of stabilizer.

As for the CH, it's low and we don't want that low CH to allow the plaster surface to get damaged (etched). You show a CH of 175 and I would like it to reach the minimum for now of 250. So you'll need to increase the CH a little. That equals 9 lbs of calcium. See below:
Thank you for your time and all the help.

Reactions: Texas Splash
My pleasure. Once you have the stabilizer dissolved in the water and calcium in there, you should be in pretty good shape. Just keep an eye on the FC daily to ensure it doesn't fall by mistake. Feel free to post updates with testing or questions. Enjoy! :swim:

Reactions: Rosyvette
Ok, the sock method, can I use a skimmer sock? Make a knot? Can I put it in the skimmer?

I attached a picture with the product I have it says concentrated. Also attached is a picture of the instructions. If I want to increase the cya 40ppm and if my math is correct I should use 3 ¼ lbs (52 oz)??? The app is telling me for a target of 60 I should add 71 oz/4lbs, that would be the whole bucket.

Attachments

• tempImagesuEepv.png
    tempImagesuEepv.png
    1 MB · Views: 4
  • tempImageUtFhlQ.png
    tempImageUtFhlQ.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_4522.PNG
    IMG_4522.PNG
    378.7 KB · Views: 4
For the CH to get to the target of 250 the app says to add 196 oz/12 lb of calcium chloride or 259 oz/ 16 lbs of calcium chloride dihydrate. What I have on hand is the Clorox calcium hardness increaser(don't know if is regular calcium chloride or dihydrate) and it is only 4 lbs. The instructions says to raise per 10,000 gallons,
50 ppm - 5 lb
60 ppm - 6 lb
80 ppm - 8 lb

So it seems that it would be a few packages and the instructions divide the total dosage into thirds adding ⅓ at a time waiting 6 hours between additions. Please advise .

For the CYA, let's be safe and only increase the CYA to about 60. You can always add 10 ppm more later, but we don't want you to over-shoot and go too high. It looks like you got conditioner versus stabilizer, but it will work. Just follow the instructions on the bucket since conditioner is not in granular form like stabilizer.

For the CYA, let's be safe and only increase the CYA to about 60. You can always add 10 ppm more later, but we don't want you to over-shoot and go too high. It looks like you got conditioner versus stabilizer, but it will work. Just follow the instructions on the bucket since conditioner is not in granular form like stabilizer.
Which stabilizer do you recommend?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Which stabilizer do you recommend?
When I need to buy stabilizer, I usually just go to Walmart (Clorox stabilizer) or Home Depot (I don't recall their brand name). But those are in granular form that I place in a sock to soak and then squeeze it all out. Condition, in thick liquid form, is fine to use. It should register very quickly. It just costs a lot more.

When I need to buy stabilizer, I usually just go to Walmart (Clorox stabilizer) or Home Depot (I don't recall their brand name). But those are in granular form that I place in a sock to soak and then squeeze it all out. Condition, in thick liquid form, is fine to use. It should register very quickly. It just costs a lot more.
This conditioner is granular.

This conditioner is granular.
Oh, okay. I thought it was the gel stuff. But as a granular product, you can place the required amount in a white sock (or socks) and let them get soft by soaking in the skimmer or hanging from the edge of the pool. If you hang them from the edge, don't let them rest against the side since they are acidic. Use a pole or something to have them extended out a bit. After about 20-30 minutes, you can start squeezing them like crazy. Once all the "mush" is out, you're good to go!

Oh, okay. I thought it was the gel stuff. But as a granular product, you can place the required amount in a white sock (or socks) and let them get soft by soaking in the skimmer or hanging from the edge of the pool. If you hang them from the edge, don't let them rest against the side since they are acidic. Use a pole or something to have them extended out a bit. After about 20-30 minutes, you can start squeezing them like crazy. Once all the "mush" is out, you're good to go!
Great, thanks. Oh and for the CH ⅓ of the dosage every 6 hours, right? Sorry

Oh and for the CH ⅓ of the dosage every 6 hours, right?
That will work. I don't think you have to wait that long, but sometimes adding too much CH at once can cause some cloudiness and pool-owner panic. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.