Chlorine Drop test - CC and SLAM question

May 11, 2018
Dayton TN
Hey guys!

Just changed my pool over to a SWG last week, something seemed a bit "off" with the water so I did a drop test yesterday.

Readings were as follows

FC 4.5
CC 1.0

With the CC being at 1.0 I broke out the bleach and brought things up to shock level about 5PM. Did another drop test this morning, when I added R-003 to test for CC it turned a VERY faint pink. Was faint enough that I almost thought it was clear at first. One drop of R-871 took it back to crystal clear. Would that mean that my CC is at .5 or is it likely lower since the R-003 didn't turn the sample a dark pink?

Should I continue to SLAM at this point and do an overnight loss test tonight or can I just let the FC drift back down to normal levels at this point?

CC itself is not a good indicator of a pool free of algae/organics. The Overnight Chlorine Loss Test is the best chemistry indicator and crystal clear water is the best visual indicator.

Gotcha, water is (and has been) clear but seemed slightly more cloudy to me underwater with my eyes open yesterday. I'll run a OCLT tonight and see where I stand.

Sounds like you caught whatever and slayed it. An Overnight Chlorine Loss Test can’t hurt. I would just let the FC drift down and crank up your SWG.

Hoping so! I'm going to let FC come down some today so we can hopefully swim some this afternoon then do the OCLT tonight and crank things back up tomorrow morning if I lose anything overnight.

I'm going to let FC come down some today so we can hopefully swim some this afternoon
You can safely swim in a pool as long as the FC is above the minimum and at or below SLAM level based on your CYA. You must also be able to see the bottom of the pool in the deep end of the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.