Chlorine/CYA levels for Heated pool with SWG and Solar Cover?

nodrog

Jul 27, 2021
Maleny QLD Australia
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Auto Chlor SMC-20
Hello everyone, I've done my best to search here trying to find the answer to this but so far I've struggled to find it.

Thanks to this wonderful site I'm now well aware of the optimal water chemistry levels for our outdoor, fibreglass pool with a SWG. However I'm unclear if the use of a solar cover and higher water temperture due to the heater and solar cover requires different levels?

Here's our pool information:

GENERAL
1. Outdoor fibreglass pool with SWG (runs 8hrs daily), full sun all day.
2. Solar cover used 23 hours each day on average all year round.
3. Winter water temperature due to heater and cover is around 30C (86F)
4. Summer water temperature due to solar cover averages around 30C but can reach 35C (95F).

Note: Solar cover apart from heating purposes is always on except when swimming as we are on tank water which can be scarce at times so prevention of evaporation of water from the pool is important!

CHEMISTRY
FC - 5
pH - 7.4 (aiming for 7.5/7.6)
TA - 100 (aiming for 80)
CYA - 70

Given the conditions due to the heater and solar cover are around these levels OK?

Thanks in advance.

I would raise your FC and target 7-9 and never below 6. Target 7.4 for your pH as it will rise with a TA of 100 and TA will drop as you lower pH. Monitor your CYA every 30 days.
Test your fill water for TA and CH.

Last edited:
Reactions: nodrog
Overall the same but your cover will raise the water temp nearly to hot tub temps in summer and a slightly higher FC will give you a bit more margin. Your solar cover will also protect and lower your daily FC loss. Monitor your CC, combined chlorine and pull the cover when it gets above 1ppm as your cover will trap the CCs. Use Pool Math to calculate and monitor your CSI as temps increase as it may be an issue with your SWG.

Reactions: nodrog
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.