Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-9)
Hi Everyone,

I reviewed the chart and watched the video but want to get more of an idea of where I should target my CYA. I tested today and my results are FC- 3.6 and CYA- 35. Should I be targeting 70 like the charts recommends? I pretty much ran the same numbers last year and had no algae and my water is crystal clear. My pool does get direct sunlight with no shade. So sunlight is hitting my water from sun up to down.

Thanks,

Jason

If you are satisfied with the FC loss each day and having no issues, then the lower CYA is fine. I would suggest not letting the FC get below 4ppm.
Your FC loss per day should be no more than 3 ppm in your climate.

I also would suggest testing your FC at mid - day (say 2 or 3 pm) to see if your FC dips during the high UV time of day.

I also would suggest testing your FC at mid - day (say 2 or 3 pm) to see if your FC dips during the high UV time of day.
I will do the mid test. Normally during the day I'll turn the spa on for 1-2 hours for the kids but that leaves the pool unfiltered and not generating chlorine. In the past I tested around 6pm and my FC is around 1.7 to 1.8. So my loss is no greater than 2.

You should never let your FC drop below 3 ppm. That is the issue with low CYA and a SWCG.

Thanks for all the help Marty. I really appreciate your time. I'll start raising the CYA and testing during the afternoon and see what the best number is to prevent loss.
I wanted to report back. I raised my CYA to 55 and for the past two days I'm steady at 3.4 FC and my SWG is set to 85%. Not sure how to get to 4ppm unless I go up to 90%. Does that sound right?

Your SWCG is very small for your pool volume. You need to run nearly 100% at 24 hours per day to achieve your FC needs.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I wanted to report back. I raised my CYA to 55 and for the past two days I'm steady at 3.4 FC and my SWG is set to 85%. Not sure how to get to 4ppm unless I go up to 90%. Does that sound right?
Howdy Jason.. we have found that you should get an SWG that is rated for twice the volume of your pool... with a 23K gallon pool a T-15 rated for 40K would have been better fit. That gives you some elbow room to turn it up or down to suit the conditions without having to run it full bore all the time just to meet your minimum demand.

So as Marty says.. you are going to have to turn that puppy up.

Howdy Jason.. we have found that you should get an SWG that is rated for twice the volume of your pool... with a 23K gallon pool a T-15 rated for 40K would have been better fit. That gives you some elbow room to turn it up or down to suit the conditions without having to run it full bore all the time just to meet your minimum demand.

So as Marty says.. you are going to have to turn that puppy up.
This is interesting. My pool volume is 21,600 without adding my spa. Believe it or not Hayward just sent me a new T-9 under my warranty. I wonder if I can change this out?

If they let you pay the difference on the bigger model it would be worth every last penny. Alot of warranties wouldn't allow it though. They are usually like for like with no exceptions. It can't hurt to try though.

One detail that I didn't report was my ph is 8.0. I used pool math to lower to 7.6. Could my high ph be causing my CL not to be producing at a higher number? My AL is at 90.

My CL this morning was at 3.2 after 11 hours of not running my pump and SWG. So raising my CYA to 60 seems to be working since my CL reading yesterday afternoon was 3.4.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.