Chlorine cost with very high temperatures

hhoran

May 25, 2021
Phoenix
I am in Phoenix with a 16,000 pool
Found TFP several years ago and shifting from tabs to liquid chlorine solved massive CYA driven problems. Aside from being a pain, the cost of the water needed to refill a pool after draining here in Phoenix is very high (~$200-250)
While I understand and agree with the basic pool chemistry points, the cost of liquid chlorine has become prohibitive. I get mine from a distant pool store where liquid chlorine is its major product. But it now costs $7.50/gallon. In the three months when daytime temperatures are in triple digits (often above 110F) I need to use an absolute minimum of a half gallon every evening, and really ought to be adding a full gallon per day. This seems consistent with the usage other users in very hot areas have reported. Over that three month period a gallon per day would cost $675. This is a lot more than the cost of tabs plus an annual drain and refill due to high CYA. And of course this doesnt include the chlorine costs in other months when temperatures are merely 90F.
Found a 2015 threat when a member from Vegas raised the same question but was basically blown off with a "liquid chlorine is always better" reply. Which for the vast majority of members would be accurate. But it seems that if liquid chlorine cost skyrockets with very high temperatures it might not be for everyone.
Is there some major problem with this cost analysis?

This is a lot more than the cost of tabs
Where's your math on this?

As I see it, if you're adding a gallon of 12.5% then you are losing 8 ppm FC per day (that's a lot, either your CYA level is way too low or you have something growing). To add that same 8 ppm per day you'd need 19 ounces of trichlor, or just over 2 puck per day. That comes out to about 17 pucks per week, which will increase your CYA by 35 ppm per week. So you will have to compensate for that increased CYA by adjusting your FC target. I'll assume you increase your FC three times per week with liquid chlorine and the pucks just keep it stable, to keep the math simple.

So after 2 weeks your CYA level has gone up 70 ppm. That sounds a lot more like a bi-weekly refill, not annual. So over the course of three months you'll deal with 6 refills and 200 pucks (100 pounds). I'll ignore the cost of soda ash to keep up with the constant acidic trichlor you're adding to the pool, or the liquid chlorine to constantly account for the CYA increase. Six refills comes out to $1,200 and two 50 pound buckets of pucks is about $450.

$1650 is a lot more than $675.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum.
A SWCG is by far the most economic now.
Using just trichlor, can you keep your CYA down below 60 ppm? Only way I can see it working is you start at a CYA of 30 ppm, use tablets (and baking soda as necessary), hopefully you can maintain the proper FC/CYA ratio, and when CYA gets to 60 ppm, you drain 50% of the pool volume, and start over.

In your pool volume, one 8 oz tablet adds 3.4 ppm FC and 2.1 ppm CYA. So if that 3.4 ppm FC is enough per day, in a month you will add 60 ppm CYA. So you would need to drain 50% of the pool volume every two weeks.

Tablets, at the lowest cost I see for plain (non additive filled) is about $3 a piece. So for 3 months, you would need 90 of them. Plus the cost of water.

With liquid chlorine prices continuing to rise, many forum members are installing saltwater chlorine generators. Many people smarter than I have done the math and have found SWCGs to be the better value.

Reactions: proavia
You need to install a salt water chlorine generator. It’s the only thing that makes sense around these parts. I’m down in Tucson and we are at triple digit temps. Liquid chlorine costs too much. With an SWG, all of your chlorine is paid for upfront. If you balance your water properly and size the unit correctly you can easily get 5-8 years of useful life out of it. My first SWG lasted 8 years. I purchased my second one just as the pandemic hit in 2020. I would sooner fill my pool in with dirt than not have an SWG.

You need 4.8 three ounce trichlor tabs to equal the FC in one gallon if 10% chlorine.

how big is your bucket of tabs and how much does it cost.

Tabs will hurt you in the long run from a chemistry perspective, but often times can be found on clearance somewhere in the months leading up to needing more. Because chlorine degrades, we won't buy a year supply if the right deal comes along. So they definitely have the advantage there.

While I understand and agree with the basic pool chemistry points, the cost of liquid chlorine has become prohibitive. I get mine from a distant pool store where liquid chlorine is its major product. But it now costs $7.50/gallon. But it seems that if liquid chlorine cost skyrockets....
Has anyone been tracking the prices of SWCG units and replacement cells since 2020? With rising chlorine prices, economic inflation and now recent trade limitations on rare earth metals I expect we will be seeing significant price pressue moving forward.
:shark:

Has anyone been tracking the prices of SWCG units and replacement cells since 2020? With rising chlorine prices, economic inflation and now recent trade limitations on rare earth metals I expect we will be seeing significant price pressue moving forward.
:shark:

Oh, they have gone up too, but not nearly as much as liquid chlorine. For reference, I purchased a Pentair IC-60 in 2020 for $1,200. I already have an EasyTouch panel with the power supply for the SWG so the cost was purely the cell. Nowadays I think the 60’s run around $1,600. Mine was self-installed and a 2 year warranty.

Reactions: Oly
Oh, they have gone up too, but not nearly as much as liquid chlorine. For reference, I purchased a Pentair IC-60 in 2020 for $1,200
My iC60 in June 2019 was $770. They spiked before the world went to crud. It's $1339 now, which isn't that far off from what you paid 3 years ago.

Reactions: JoyfulNoise

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My iC60 in June 2019 was $770. They spiked before the world went to crud. It's $1339 now, which isn't that far off from what you paid 3 years ago.

I’d totally pay $1,400 for a new IC60. Wouldn’t even flinch pushing the PAY button. The shear convenience and cost-effectiveness of an SWG can not be overstated. Considering what i DON’T SPEND on a pool service ($250/month) and what i DON’T SPEND on liquid chlorine ($8/gal) and what i DON’T SPEND on gas driving all over to find it ($4/gal) and what i DON’T SPEND on chiropractic fees lugging around 8lbs jugs ($100/session) …. Yeah, it’s totally worth it.

Reactions: Oly and Newdude
Do they have a Walmart, Home Depot, or Lowe’s in Phoenix? I’d curbside pickup Liquid Chlorine if I didn’t have a SWCG personally.

I’d totally pay $1,400 for a new IC60. Wouldn’t even flinch pushing the PAY button. The shear convenience and cost-effectiveness of an SWG can not be overstated. Considering what i DON’T SPEND on a pool service ($250/month) and what i DON’T SPEND on liquid chlorine ($8/gal) and what i DON’T SPEND on gas driving all over to find it ($4/gal) and what i DON’T SPEND on chiropractic fees lugging around 8lbs jugs ($100/session) …. Yeah, it’s totally worth it.
This! Even if it was much more expensive I would absolutely, positively use a SWCG for my pool. It makes life so much easier, it makes your water feel better, and it hugely reduces the amount of time that you have to futz around with your pool.

Reactions: Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.