Chlorine availabilty and cost - is it time to convert to salt

"I would not be surprised to find out an swg system costs more than non swg, but not that much more."

That's the first I've heard of that. Would you please elasborate? Thanks.

. I would not be surprised to find out an swg system costs more than non swg, but not that much more.
12k-15k gallons is the break even point. Smaller pools lose out as the cost to get into a SWG system is more expensive than the output.

Buying larger systems for larger pools is less than the corresponding increase in FC production. OP with 25k gallons will win long term, no question. Check @Mdragger math in post 9 and expect similar with an equal amount of gallons.

When one source of Chlorine gets more expensive, the rest rise to match it. The length of the season (location) doesn't matter either as someone in a hot climate also needs that much more liquid chlorine to treat for the longer season to account for less longevity on the cell with longer season.

So the math favors a SWG (at 15k + gallons) or even a VS pump, also paying for itself. The only question is if the owner chooses to invest early for the long term savings, or have smaller costs to absorb which add up to more in the long run.

Reactions: Mdragger88
"I would not be surprised to find out an swg system costs more than non swg, but not that much more."

That's the first I've heard of that. Would you please elasborate? Thanks.
It is not really possible to cost it out accurately because chlorine consumption is a moving target. It is easier to think of an SWG it terms of “psychic income” - I.E. not running out of chlorine and having to get to the pool store today vs not having to go at all.
BUT costing out the un-costable is fun and a good way to say that you did your due diligence before you commit. It’s human nature!

It is not really possible to cost it out accurately because chlorine consumption is a moving target.
Your FC moving target is your moving target and remains the same for you regardless of form of Chlorine. Whether you need 3 gallons of liquid, 9(?) Tabs or 14 hours off the life of a SWG, it's easily quantifiable.

With a longer season you'll need more chlorine for the year, less up north, but the price per FC is the great equalizer. Any way you slice it, you needed XX Fc last month and YY Fc this month and both of those #s have a set cost at the time.

All of this, of course, hinges on MSRP. If one happened to catch a steal on bleach, then the equation changes. But I could also get a SWG on a similar pre season sale and be equal again. Lb per lb.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.