"Chlorinator Off High Salt

Ksandrew

In The Industry
May 16, 2020
Ga.
Hi all,
I am new around here and still learning. so looking for answers, have Hayward aqua logic stuff and have had a problem not producing chlorine. After much research and before finding this site I decided that I needed a new generator,(T15)the old one t seven years old Got a new one and now it is reading salt at 4000 ppm, the actual salt level taken from multiple test is 3350
/The generator starts up and has 7 amp draw at 25v. runs for a few seconds and then I get the message that salt is high and generator shut off.
I was about to remove the board and check the solder joints today but as I was about to do that I got thinking of a way to trick the aqua plus into thinking the salt level was lower. I love to trick electronics.
I removed a skimmer basket and stuck the water hose in the pipe at the bottom of the skimmer hole, let the water run and set the pump on skimmer only and no water from drain.
When I restarted the generator it showed the salt level at 3800 ppm and started generating.
worked great while it was thinking that the salt was 3800 but the pool was getting a little to full of water.]
I is now still working and reading 3800 so I reset the average to 3800. this is after I cut off the water hose.

I need to find a way to re-calibrate whatever is sending the message that the salt is 4000 ppm. and cutting off the generator.

Thank you all for the great information you post on here.

Life is a barrel of fun.

Ken Andrew

Go to the diagnostic readings and press the + button to make it reverse polarity.

When it restarts, see if the amps go past 8.0.

Post all readings.

If the amps hit 8.0, the unit will shut down and say high salt regardless of the salt level.

This is more likely to happen with warmer water.

You have to lower the salinity until the amps stay below 8.0.

You can't recalibrate anything.

Last edited:
Thank you for the fast reply James.
I am sure that when reversing polarity the amps are still below 8, I will confirm this tomorrow.

I do not have a lot of faith in the pool retail stores. Last year I took eight water samples and spent the time to take them to 8 pool stores and got a different reading and recommendation at each store, some were genuine and others slanted the results to try and sell me stuff I did not need.
I have purchased an electronic salt tester that seems to be OK, the strips are a joke. I have not ever purchased strip that worked at all. I am about to call Chlorox and talk about sending all the strips back to them for a refund. Not the money but to punish them for selling junk.
I had a Taylor test for chlorine that was ok but the powder gumed up and became solid . do you have a recommendation for testing chlorine without going to the expense of ordering a Hatch kit. Prefer a titration type of test.
This site is great and I plan on becoming a contributing member.
Life is a barrel of fun.

Ken Andrew.

Get the TF100. Add the K-1766 salt test.

If it says high salt, the amps were above 8.0.

Most likely, the salinity reading from the box is accurate.

If the volts are more than 32 at any point, the circuit board is probably damaged.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.