Chlorinator cell empties out when the pump stops

deekeun

Apr 3, 2019
Gold Coast 4211
So far i have put in a new spider gasket, checked for leaks on the suction inlet to the pump, re sealed the top of the cell casing where the cell screws on.
Still thre water drains out of the cell when the pump stops.
It never used to do that.
suggestions please?

Deek,

Well, you for sure get the award for the largest and strangest SWCG cell I have ever seen... :)

I would have to assume you have an air leak when the pump is off. In theory, it should be like when you put your thumb over the end of a straw in a glass of water.. Since air can't get in the top of the straw, the water stays in the straw... When you take your thumb off, the water pour out..

If this were my pool, the places I would be look at would be the pump lid gasket... Making sure it is in good condition and lubed. Also the pressure relief on the filter and the multiport itself. I would try a couple of different multiport positions to see if it made any difference.. Gaskets in the unions.???

Does the water in the pump basket drain back into the pool when the pump is off?

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: setsailsoon
In Australia most pool equipment is the same. I have 3 pools in 35 years and all the same.
All new pools now have self cleaning cells.
The pool and equipment in the pic was installed about 20 years ago.
New pump 1 year ago, new sand filter 7 years ago, new spider gasket now.
I have just taken apart all the screw in joints, cleaned and lubed them.
Cell still drops water to the bottom of it.
I am thinking it is leaking in air at the top of the cell where it screws on.

In Australia most pool equipment is the same. I have 3 pools in 35 years and all the same.

Doesn’t look like anything Ive seen before, first time I’ve seen a vertical plumbed cell.

Check the cell union O-ring and the housing for cracks. The multi port has a couple of O-rings including a small one on the angle assembly.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.